Skip to main content


21:54 11th April 2012
By  @OfficialQPR


Goals from Joey Barton, Jamie Mackie and Akos Buzsaky helped QPR to an excellent 3-0 victory over Swansea City at Loftus Road.

On an evening that saw Rangers move two points clear of the Barclays Premier League relegation zone, Barton drew first blood for Mark Hughes's side with a crisp drive on the stroke of half-time.

Mackie then kept up his rich vein of form against the Swans with his third strike in as many meetings with City ten minutes after the break.

But it was left to Buzsaky to save the best until last, with his stunning solo effort in the 67th minute securing a valuable victory for Rangers.

Hughes made two changes to his Rangers side for the visit of the Swans - one of which was enforced.

Shaun Derry's dismissal at Manchester United last weekend meant that the midfielder had to sit out owing to a one-match ban, with skipper Barton returning to the side to take his place.

Bobby Zamora also came back into the starting XI at the expense of Jay Bothroyd.

Despite the changes, the R's did stick to a 4-5-1 formation, with Paddy Kenny in goal.

Nedum Onuoha, Anton Ferdinand, Clint Hill and Taye Taiwo lined up in defence for the Hoops.

Buzsaky, Barton and Samba Diakite took up more central roles in midfield, with Mackie and Adel Taarabt operating from the flanks.

Zamora led the line for Rangers in attack.

Swansea enjoyed a wealth of possession inside the first ten minutes. But it was the home side who twice went mightily close to leading in the opening stanza.

It took the R's just three minutes to fashion their first attempt on target.

Onuoha's low centre from the right was deflected back out to Buzsaky on the edge of the box, who lashed an effort on the volley just inches wide of the post.

Swans keeper Michel Vorm then had to be at his very best just five minutes later.

Former Manchester City ace Onuoha was again involved, latching on to a pass from Barton before his cross saw Mackie force a stunning point-blank stop from the Dutch shot-stopper.

City themselves went within a whisker of opening the scoring on 15 minutes.

The in-form Gylfi Sigurdsson played architect, with his teasing corner from the right diverted towards goal by both Steven Caulker and Scott Sinclair. Barton, however, was on hand to produce a superb goal-line block.

Play soon switched to the other end. Clever footwork from Taarabt saw him manoeuvre his past Joe Allen before the Moroccan dragged a shot straight at Vorm.

Two minutes later, Rangers could - and probably should - have taken the lead.

Diakite's low centre saw Zamora expertly hold off his marker with his back to goal before feeding Mackie, who could only fire a tame drive straight at the Swans keeper.

Chances were now aplenty at both ends.

Swansea again went close in the 36th minute. Danny Graham's clever knock-down from a ball into the box found Sinclair, before his subsequent shot forced a fine goal-saving intervention by Hill.

Three minutes later, Sigurdsson's rasping low drive forced a smart stop by Kenny.

At the other end, meanwhile, Taarabt's corner was spilled by Vorm, before Zamora blazed an effort over the crossbar - albeit with not much time to react.

The deadlock was finally broken in second-half stoppage time with a goal that eased the tension inside Loftus Road.

The Swans were originally penalised for a foul on Zamora, before Taarabt eventually stepped up to fire an out-swinging centre into the box.

City managed to clear - but only as far as Barton just inside the penalty area, who stole in the fizz an effort into the bottom left-hand corner.

The strike left Vorm with no chance as the Hoops skipper wheeled away in jubilation, before Barton punched the air in delight.

The R's opener forced Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers into two changes at the half-time break, with both Alan Tate and Nathan Dyer introduced for Neil Taylor and former QPR man Wayne Routledge.

And it was City who were first to go close following the interval, after Allen's attempt was taken at the second attempt by Kenny.

But those two Swansea changes couldn't halt a Rangers second, as the hosts doubled their advantage through Mackie.

It was a fine individual effort from the Scot, who turned on Ferdinand's ball from deep before showing tremendous composure to skip into the area and slide an effort into the net.

QPR had Hill to thank for keeping their two-goal lead intact just five minutes later.

Sigurdsson's free-kick from the left was met by Caulker at the back post, whose header looked to be looping home before Hill was on hand to clear off the line.

It was then left to Buzsaky to cap an outstanding victory with an equally as impressive third for the hosts.

Taarabt found the Magical Magyar with a pass from the left, who took a touch before rifling a beautifully-struck shot into the left-hand corner of the goal.

QPR: Kenny, Diakite, Hill, Taarabt (Smith 88), Mackie (Wright-Phillips 78), Buzsaky, Barton, Taiwo, Ferdinand, Onuoha, Zamora (Bothroyd 78).

Subs: Cerny, Gabbidon, Campbell, Young.

Goals: Barton (45), Mackie (55), Buzsaky (67)

Bookings: Taiwo (72), Diakite (79)

Swansea City: Vorm, Williams, Taylor (Tate 46), Caulker, Britton (Moore 62), Graham, Sinclair, Routledge (Dyer 46), Rangel, Allen, Sigurdsson.

Subs: Tremmel, Monk, McEachran, Gower.

Referee: Mr L Probert

Attendance: 17,557 (1322 away)

    Data provided by Press Association
    QPR Business Finder is powered by &