Skip to main content


16:45 26th January 2013
By  @OfficialQPR


HARRY Redknapp had a day to forget as his Queens Park Rangers side were deservedly dumped out of the FA Cup by League One outfit Milton Keynes Dons today.

An unfamiliar starting eleven, with nine changes from their last Premier League encounter, Rangers were outclassed by their lower league opposition who were good value for their 4-2 win.

Rangers exit leaves them to concentrate on their main objective, Premier League survival, with a difficult tie against Manchester City awaiting them next.

The R’s nearly took the lead inside the first minute when DJ Campbell smashed the ball past keeper David Martin from six-yards following Jay Bothroyd’s knock down, but the R’s striker was clearly offside.

However, just three minutes later and the Dons were leading at Loftus Road. A corner from the right was drilled low and hard towards the near post and with MK Dons Dean Lewington and Rangers Armand Traore contesting for the ball it squeezed its way past Rob Green to hand the visitors a 1-0 lead.

Ryan Lowe then tested Green from distance for the Dons before Fabio sliced wide on the turn at the other end after lifting the ball over his shoulder. Campbell was next up to test Martin, after the R’s kept good possession, he saw his deflected shot from just inside the box loop into the outstretched keepers’ arms.

A header from Tal Ben Haim from Esteban Granero’s corner found the hands of Martin before Traore’s mazy run from inside his own half deserved better when his cross was hung up but headed behind for a corner.

Jamie Mackie went close to levelling the score in the 33rd minute when a delightful through ball from Bothroyd sent Mackie in on goal, but custodian Martin was courageous for the visitors and charged down his lunge. 

Rangers were then left shell shocked five minutes before half-time when they found themselves 2-0 down to MK Dons. Jon Ostemobor launched a diagonal ball forward catching Anton Ferdinand out and with Ryan Lowe latching onto the pass he coolly beat Green to leave Rangers with a mountain to climb in the second half.

If QPR were hoping to mount a second half comeback their hopes seem to disappear five minutes in when MK Dons made it 3-0. Ryan Lowe raced down the right and although his touch was heavy, he just managed to stop the ball from going out of play. The former Bury striker cut the ball back across the face of Green’s goal and with substitute Ryan Harley unmarked he was left with the simplest of finishes inside the six-yard box.

Soon after and it was game over as QPR went 4-0 down. Harley’s free-kick from the left was not dealt with by the R’s defence as the ball fell to Alan Smith who was allowed to tee up Darren Potter to slam the ball past a despairing Rob Green.

Rangers survived conceding a fifth when Ferdinand slipped with Bowditch baring down on him. That allowed the Dons forward to close in on goal and force Green to make a one handed save 15 minutes from time.

QPR did reduce the arrears seven minutes from time when Jay Bothroyd headed in from close range thanks to an assist from substitute Bobby Zamora. 

Bothroyd then nearly returned the favour when his flick on for Zamora saw the returning forward – back after three months out – drilled wide of the left-hand post from 12-yards.

Fabio grabbed a second for QPR in stoppage time to make it 4-2 as he connected at the back post but it was too little too late as the final whistle sounded and MK Dons players celebrated a memorable FA Cup win for their side. QPR on the other hand will wish to forget as they are left to now concentrate on their main objective, Premier League survival.
    QPR Business Finder is powered by &