Skip to main content


21:30 6th August 2013
By  @OfficialQPR


CHARLIE Austin and Danny Simpson both grabbed their first Rangers goals as QPR eased into the second round of the Capital One Cup with a 2-0 victory over Exeter City.

The R’s – who also handed a full debut to Richard Dunne – led after just 99 seconds, with Austin turning home a Jermaine Jenas shot from close range.

Simpson ensured progress for the Hoops when he finished a fine team move nine minutes after half-time.

Rangers made five changes to their starting line-up following Saturday’s opening day league win over Sheffield Wednesday, and wasted little time in forging ahead.

Junior Hoilett won a corner for the visitors and when Ale Faurlin sent over an inswinging cross from the right, Austin was in the right place at the right time to turn home a Jenas blast.

The R’s dominated proceedings early on and were only denied a second goal five minutes later when Exeter goalkeeper Artur Krysiak pulled off a fine save from a Clint Hill header.

Jamie Reid forced Hoops custodian Brian Murphy into a rare first-half stop in the 10th minute but it was Harry Redknapp’s men who were soon on the offensive once again. 

Austin drifted a header just wide of the left-hand post following Simpson’s pinpoint cross, while Joey Barton saw a cross-come-shot headed off the goal-line.

Rangers continued to dictate the play and almost doubled their lead just short of the half-hour mark.

Intricate passing play ended with the impressive Hoilett freeing Austin, whose subsequent effort – albeit from a narrow angle – was deflected wide by Krysiak.

Chances became less frequent as half-time approached although both ‘keepers were called into action to fashion smart stops from Liam Sercombe and Bobby Zamora respectively.

QPR made one change at the break, with Zamora making way for former Fulham team-mate Andy Johnson.

Rangers again looked dangerous from the restart. Jenas’ blockbuster from a Barton corner forced a two-fisted stop from Krysiak, while Austin glanced a header wide from Simpson’s right-flank cross.

Redknapp’s side eventually added a well-worked second goal in the 54th minute.

Austin and substitute Johnson combined and when the latter fed Simpson 10 yards from goal, he drilled an effort across the target and into the bottom left-hand corner.

Barton then spurned a guilt-edged chance to make it three soon after, shooting straight at Krysiak when freed by Yun Suk-Young.

The R’s made a second substitution just after the hour mark, with Shaun Derry brought on to replace Faurlin.

Aaron Davies crashed a shot off the crossbar for the Grecians in the 67th minute in a five-minute spell that was probably the home side’s best of the contest.

Rangers, though, stood up to the task and almost added a third goal in the 72nd minute. Johnson broke on the counter attack before seeing a low drive collected at the second attempt by Krysiak.

Hoilett was given warm applause by the 798 travelling QPR fans when he was replaced in the 75th minute by Shaun Wright-Phillips, as Rangers looked to close out the tie.

Wright-Phillips almost added his name to the scoresheet with a spectacular solo effort late on but saw a stinging shot canon off the bar.
    QPR Business Finder is powered by &