Skip to main content


17:00 10th August 2013
By  @OfficialQPR


QPR extended their unbeaten run to three matches at the John Smith's Stadium as they settled for a 1-1 draw against Huddersfield Town this afternoon.

Rangers came from behind just three minutes after conceding the lead to Terriers forward James Vaughan’s 35th minute opener.

However, the impressive Junior Hoilett stabbed home Yun Suk-Young’s cross from 10-yards to earn the R’s a point in Yorkshire as QPR climbed to fourth in the table.

Redknapp made three changes from Rangers last league outing. Yun Suk-Young replaced the injured Armand Traore whilst Spanish midfielder Esteban Granero was drafted in for Ale Faurlin who missed the match through with a thigh injury. Striker Charlie Austin started in attack with Andrew Johnson following his midweek goal in the Capital One Cup.

The R's made a solid start and good work from Charlie Austin inside the opening ten minutes led to QPR’s first opportunity of the afternoon. The 24-year-old was strong down the channel enabling him to pull the ball back for Andrew Johnson inside the 18-yard area but Huddersfield’s Anthony Gerrard did well to block. Moments later Danny Simpson riffled wide from distance sending Town keeper Alex Smithies sprawling.

Austin was presented with another opportunity to open the R’s account after a flowing passing move involving Hoilett, Granero and then Johnson released the ex-Burnley striker but he miscued his shot at the vital moment. 

Rangers continued to apply pressure and nearly opened their account when Austin’s volley from outside the box whistled past the post following Suk-Young’s quickly taken throw-in on 20 minutes.

Some lapse defending from QPR created an opening for Huddersfield on the half an hour mark as Martin Paterson saw his effort across goal zip past R’s keeper Rob Green’s post but five minutes later the home side did take the lead. 

Suk-Young and Granero closed down Adam Hammill leaving Oliver Norwood in space to pick out James Vaughan inside the six-yard box who powered his header into the floor and into the back of Rangers net to make it 1-0.

Their lead was short lived though as QPR showed good character to respond after just three minutes. Left-back Suk-Young saw his initial cross blocked by Terriers skipper Peter Clarke before successfully hoisting a second into the danger zone with his right foot. That found Hoilett 10-yards from goal and after controlling with a deft touch he stabbed it past Smithies to even proceedings up.

Buoyed by their equaliser QPR started brightly after the break and it was Hoilett who continued to lead the charge. An impressive run down the left flank saw his cross nearly catch custodian Smithies out before a shot minutes later was blocked on the edge of the box.

The Canadian surged forward once more and after linking up with Johnson, this time down the right, AJ’s cross picked out Austin. His header from 8-yards hit the bar and with Joey Barton unable to redirect the rebound in on goal the score remained 1-1.

Shaun Wright-Phillips replaced Spaniard Granero midway through the second half and soon after Austin’s effort from the edge of the penalty area brushed the side netting after good work to steal the ball by the Rangers number nine.

Barton, now back in the middle of midfield, warmed keeper Smithies hands from distance ten minutes from time before substitute Jermaine Jenas blasted over.

Huddersfield went close to grabbing a winner in the final 60 seconds as a ball over the top allowed Sean Scannell in on goal but his outstretched foot could only divert the ball wide of Green’s post as the match ended all square.
    QPR Business Finder is powered by &