Skip to main content


14:15 3rd May 2014


QPR warmed up for the play-offs in perfect fashion with a 3-2 victory over already-relegated Barnsley at Oakwell.

Charlie Austin and a Jean-Yves M’voto own goal put Rangers in the ascendancy just before half-time.

The home side pulled a goal back through Chris O’Grady in the 54th minute. However, Yun Suk-Young scored with a stunning solo effort 14 minutes later to restore the two-goal cushion.

O'Grady netted his and Barnsley's second in the 90th minute with a fine individual strike of his own - but it proved scant consolation.

The Hoops will now face Wigan Athletic in the semi-finals of the play-offs following the conclusion of the regular Championship season.

Harry Redknapp made seven changes to his team following last weekend’s 1-1 home draw with Millwall.

The most-notable inclusion was Coll Donaldson – the 19-year-old Scot signed from Livingstone in January – while fellow youngsters Michael Petrasso and Jordan Gibbons were named on the bench.

Clint Hill (illness), Joey Barton and Danny Simpson all sat out at Oakwell, though QPR were still strong with Austin paired alongside Doyle in attack.

Nedum Onuoha was named captain in Hill’s absence.

Rangers went close to taking the lead after just two minutes.

Redknapp’s men broke from a corner and, when Gary O’Neil fed Doyle, he drove at the Barnsley defence before shooting just past the post.

QPR were comfortable in possession early on though the home side did enjoy two opportunities of their own.

Dale Jennings fired inches wide of target in the ninth minute, before Rob Green produced a smart block to deny O’Grady soon after.

With the fate of both teams already decided, the fixture was devoid of any real tempo throughout. 

But the R’s scored two quick-fire goals shortly before the half-time break to put themselves in command. 

Austin opened the scoring for Rangers in the 42nd minute, taking control of the ball inside the box before slotting home for his 100th professional strike.

And the visitors extended their advantage only a minute later.

Doyle’s cross from the right saw M’voto get the telling touch, before the ball nestled into the bottom left-hand corner of the net.

Barnsley replied soon after the interval with a simple strike. Jennings crossed for O’Grady from the left, before the striker got in front of his marker to head home.

QPR made a double substitution in the 57th minute. Austin and Traore were both replaced by Will Keane and Niko Kranjcar respectively.

The hosts appeared to take heart from their goal. Jennings’ long-range effort warmed the hands of Green, while former R’s defender Peter Ramage’s header forced a fingertip save from the Hoops custodian following a corner.

But Rangers stretched their lead thanks to a fantastic individual strike in the 68th minute.

Suk-Young rode three separate challenges as he skipped into the box – before finishing emphatically past Luke Steele.

Petrasso was brought on for Benayoun in the closing stages.

O'Grady struck again for Barnsley in the 90th minute with an excellent long-range effort after four minutes of added time were signaled. But the Hoops held out for the win.
    QPR Business Finder is powered by &