Skip to main content


17:00 25th April 2015


QPR lost further ground in the fight for Premier League survival after a frustrating 0-0 draw with West Ham United on Saturday. 

Charlie Austin saw a first-half penalty saved on another exasperating afternoon at Loftus Road, denied by Adrian following James Collins’ handball in the box.

Rangers had Rob Green to thank for clawing Aaron Cresswell’s free-kick onto the crossbar with the Hammers’ best attempt, while referee Mike Jones ruled out Richard Dunne’s second-half effort as Chris Ramsey’s side had to settle for a point on a day the R’s desperately craved all three.

Ramsey made one change from last time out against Chelsea. Mauricio Isla made way for Dunne, handed his first start since February.

Fellow long-term absentee Leroy Fer also returned to the squad – named amongst the substitutes after being sidelined for two months through injury.

Meanwhile, Clint Hill retained his place on the left-hand side of defence behind Karl Henry, with Yun Suk-Young on the bench.

Rangers, beginning the day two points adrift of safety, made a blistering start – fashioning the first chance inside 50 seconds. Matt Phillips led a quick counter-attack before teeing-up Sandro inside the area, whose low shot was destined for the bottom corner but kept out by Adrian’s outstretched leg.

The visitors soon responded with a chance of their own moments later. Reece Burke – making his Premier League bow – almost marked his debut with a goal, but Nedum Onuoha was well placed to clear his header off the line.  

The fast start didn’t last, though, as the Hammers quelled the R’s threat during a fairly scrappy opening.

That was until the 22nd minute, when a handball from Collins inside the area gifted Rangers the opportunity to net from the penalty spot. Austin stepped up, only to see his resulting spot-kick smothered by Adrian and the loose ball ushered to safety.

Chances were at a premium thereafter, with Kevin Nolan providing West Ham’s next serious threat six minutes before half-time. His tame effort from 20 yards was comfortably saved by Green, on the goalkeeper’s 100th appearance for the R’s against his former club.

The R’s number one was far more stretched five minutes after the re-start. Cresswell’s free-kick was headed for the top corner, but Green’s one-handed save palmed the ball onto the crossbar and over.

At the other end, Rangers twice misfired in front of goal. Sandro blazed over before Zamora wasted an even better chance. The striker shrugged off Burke to break into the box but slashed his shot over from 12 yards.

Zamora and co. had Green to thank as West Ham almost made Rangers pay. Stewart Downing raced clear but Green reacted well, bursting out of his 18-yard area just in time to avert the danger.

Ramsey, meanwhile, made his first change just after the hour-mark – replacing Hill with Yun.

It was soon followed by a second as Fer’s long-awaited comeback came with 25 minutes left on the clock. Zamora was the man to make way.

And Rangers thought they’d made the breakthrough ten minutes later. Dunne kept a Phillips corner alive before bundling the loose ball home, only for the celebrations to be cut short by referee Jones who had spotted an infringement in the build-up.

Worse almost followed as West Ham spurned the chance to edge ahead eight minutes from time. Enner Valencia found Cheikhou Kouyate unmarked, but he ballooned the ball over from six yards.

Henry tried his luck as Rangers looked to take advantage, but his volley was fisted away by Adrian.

The Hammers goalkeeper had the final say too in stoppage time. Phillips’ sublime first-timed volley was creeping in before Adrian’s fingertips took the ball over to deny Rangers a much-needed victory, with just four games to go in the battle to avoid the drop.

    QPR Business Finder is powered by &