Skip to main content


17:00 19th September 2015


QPR shared the spoils with Hull City, in a 1-1 Sky Bet Championship draw at the KC Stadium.

Charlie Austin gave Rangers a 26th-minute lead – heading home via the crossbar after Tjaronn Chery’s right-flank corner.

However, the Tigers roared back to equalise 12 minutes later when home skipper Michael Dawson nodded in a Tom Huddlestone centre.

The second half was devoid of chances, though Chery did waste a clear opening to win it for Rangers midway through the closing period – blazing over from point-blank range after a Matt Phillips cross, when it looked easier to score.

QPR went into this contest looking to bounce back from what had been a disappointing week of results. A week which encompassed two home games ended with one draw, and one defeat.

After a fine start to the campaign, head coach Chris Ramsey will have hoped for more on home turf – despite a plethora of summer changes meaning consistency was unlikely straight away.

Rangers still sat eighth in the table heading to Humberside. Hull, meanwhile – relegated from the Premier League along with the R’s last term – were fourth.

Before this one, the Tigers had won all three of their home league fixtures this season. It looked a tough test on paper. Ramsey’s charges were also looking for their first-ever win at the KC Stadium. 

Delving into the history books before kick-off made for symmetrical reading. In the 45 previous matches between the sides, there had been 15 QPR wins, 15 for Hull, and 15 draws. 

Which result would tip the balance? The fixture was finely poised.

Boss Ramsey made two changes to his Hoops team following a 2-2 draw with Blackburn Rovers at Loftus Road in midweek.

Rob Green returned from a one-game suspension and was back in goal, at the expense of Alex Smithies. Crowd idol Ale Faurlin was also reintroduced at the centre of midfield, with Daniel Tozser making way.

Green was tested with little more than a minute gone. 

Hull’s Sone Aluko took possession midway into the Rangers half and after galloping to within 20 yards of goal, the forward’s subsequent effort was beaten away by QPR’s goalkeeper.

Four minutes later, the two home full-backs combined to almost put Hull in front. Andy Robertson broke away down the left, before his low centre agonisingly just evaded former Brentford defender Moses Odubajo at the back post.

In truth, this had been a slow start from Rangers. In the 18th minute, City’s Mo Diame saw a shot from range smartly caught by Green.

But the first half was laboured in general up to now. R’s attacker Chery leathered an effort at Allan McGregor in the 24th minute.

QPR took the lead in the 26th minute – and no prizes for guessing the goalscorer.

Austin handed Rangers the advantage from a corner. Chery crossed the ball over from the right – and the in-form striker headed home via the underside of the crossbar, despite Hull defender Robertson’s best efforts to keep the attempt out.

Buoyed by his assist, Chery let fly from range on the half-hour mark, but saw the shot just miss the goal to the right.

The hosts replied seven minutes before half-time. Huddlestone floated over a free-kick from the left, before Hull captain Dawson rose highest in the box to power home a header from 10 yards.

There were hardly any openings at the start of the second half.

With the scores even, both sides were battling hard but just lacked that bit of quality when in possession.

After the break, the first real opportunity of note arrived in the 63rd minute – and it saw Rangers squandered some chance.

Phillips skinned his marker down the right and when the winger sent over a deadly centre, Chery somehow fired over from all of two yards – with the goal at his mercy.

R’s head coach Ramsey opted for his first change in the 76th minute, with Jamie Mackie brought on for Chery.

A rare second-half effort arrived in the 83rd minute, when Hull’s Robertson saw a shot deflected wide.

The left-back also skewed wide two minutes later.

Rangers’ second substitution came in the 87th minute. Luongo was replaced by Michael Doughty.

No further opportunities would arrive, as the Hoops secured a point to take back to west London with them.
    QPR Business Finder is powered by &