Skip to main content


21:30 3rd November 2015


ANDREAS Weimann scored the only goal of the game at the IPro Stadium on Tuesday evening as QPR lost 1-0 to Derby County, while James Perch was sent off in the 89th minute for his second bookable offence.

After a first-half of few clear-cut chances, the hosts grabbed the lead on 51 minutes following a sustained period of pressure. Weimann slammed home from the edge of the area past Rob Green, and it proved to be enough to seal all three points for the Rams.

Ramsey made four changes from the side that lost 1-0 at Brentford on Friday night, and switched to a 4-4-2 formation. Perch came in for Clint Hill, who missed out with a knee injury, while Ale Faurlin, Yun Suk-Young and Charlie Austin started ahead of Tjaronn Chery, Massimo Luongo and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.

It meant the R’s lined up with Green between the sticks behind a back four of, from left to right, Paul Konchesky, Grant Hall, Nedum Onuoha and Perch.

In midfield, with Suk-Young on the left, Karl Henry started on the right with Faurlin and Daniel Tozser in the centre of the park.

Looking to add some pace to the front line, Ramsey played Matt Phillips in attack, alongside Austin.

Meanwhile, Derby County made one change from the side that beat Rotherham 3-0 at the weekend, with Jeff Hendrick coming in for George Thorne who missed out through suspension.

After coming out to fireworks on the IPro pitch, QPR slowed the game down in the early stages to quieten the crowd, and almost took the lead in the eighth minute when Austin came within inches of heading Konchesky’s cross goalwards, but Craig Forsyth got a vital touch to clear the danger.

Ramsey will have been pleased with how his side worked to limit the hosts to no real chances of note in the opening 20 minutes, with the hard-working Austin providing the first line of defence.

The hosts almost got their first glimpse of goal in the 23rd minute when Johnny Russell was freed down the left but just as he pulled the trigger from 15 yards, Perch produced an outstanding sliding block to deny him.

Two minutes later, Tozser fired over from distance after good work by Phillips, who seemed to be really enjoying his striker’s role alongside Austin.

On 35 minutes, Tozser’s centre was headed goalwards by Phillips, but his effort looped harmlessly wide, while Andreas Weimann’s volley at the other end of the pitch bounced comfortably into Green’s hands as both sides looked to gain the upper-hand before the interval.

Three minutes later, Chris Martin had Derby’s first real clear sight of goal following a great delivery from the left by Russell, but the Rams forward couldn’t make a clean connection with it, and his header bounced wide.

At the other end, Suk-Young showed his pace to reach the ball on the left byline, before playing into the path of Phillips, and his centre almost found Austin in the six yard box before it was cleared, while Faurlin forced a corner as he followed up.

And it was Suk-Young who nearly scored from the resultant set-piece, but his drive from the edge of the area fizzed over Scott Carson’s crossbar as the opening half came to a close.

Shortly after the break, Austin was booked for a heavy challenge on Rams right back Cyrus Christie, as the Rangers forward worked hard to press the hosts’ backline.

Moments later, Hall got a vital touch to prevent Russell from stealing in at the far post, and from the resulting corner the Rams came within inches of taking the lead, but Jacob Butterfield’s effort cannoned off the upright.

But Derby didn’t have to wait too much longer to open the scoring, Weimann firing home from 18 yards in the 51st minute after Richard Keogh invitingly laid the ball off for him.

Two minutes later, and the Rams nearly doubled their lead – and it was Weimann again. This time, however, his powerful strike from 20 yards was brilliantly saved by Green, while a combination of Onuoha and Perch were able to clear the danger.

The hosts had flown out of the blocks for the second half, and the R’s had to work hard to try and contain them.

On 66 minutes, Suk-Young was replaced by Junior Hoilett as Rangers tried to stem the steady flow of Derby attacks, but it was the hosts who again went close on 72 minutes, this time Martin heading over from Russell’s centre.

Ramsey made his second change of the night in the 76th minute, with Leroy Fer coming on for Tozser. Fer joined Austin in attack, with Phillips moving to the right flank.

With ten minutes remaining, Rangers forced a corner and Phillips’ delivery was brilliantly met by Onuoha at the far post but as it bounced across the six-yard box there was no-one there to get the all-important touch.

The hosts began to sit deeper in the closing stages, with QPR pressing for the leveller and the visitors had a strong penalty appeal turned down when Hoilett seemed to get on the end of Phillips’ centre before colliding with Carson, but referee Keith Stroud – after a long look at his assistant – awarded a goal-kick to Derby.

In Ramsey’s final change, Faurlin was replaced by striker Tyler Blackwood in the 84th minute for his QPR league debut, but Rangers were unable to find the breakthrough, and in the final minute of the game Perch was given his marching orders for his second booking of the night.

    QPR Business Finder is powered by &