Skip to main content


21:30 16th September 2015


RANGERS twice came from behind to earn a point against Blackburn Rovers at Loftus Road.

This Sky Bet Championship fixture was a rather-uninspiring affair in the first half, in which Shane Duffy gave the visitors a 14th-minute lead.

Things picked up after half-time. An own goal by Blackburn's Adam Henley from Charlie Austin's shot pulled QPR level under a minute into the second half.

Jordan Rhodes put Blackburn back in front on the hour but the home side would reply again 11 minutes from time, with captain Nedum Onuoha heading in a Daniel Tozser set-piece. 

After Saturday’s 2-1 home defeat at the hands of Nottingham Forest, Rangers head coach Chris Ramsey made one enforced change for the visit of Blackburn.

Rob Green’s straight red card against Forest meant he had to serve a one-match suspension. So Alex Smithies deputised for his first league start for the R’s.

A serious-looking injury, which occurred in just the first minute, saw Rovers’ Tommy Spurr eventually stretchered off after lengthy treatment.

The visiting full-back went down in the penalty area after competing for Tozser’s corner for QPR from the right.

Indeed, the match didn’t resume until the eighth minute, with Markus Olsson brought on in Spurr’s place.

Blackburn edged in front in the 14th minute. From the left-hand touchline, Craig Conway floated over a free-kick to the back post and, when Duffy rose above Smithies to knock the ball down, it was the defender himself who applied the finishing touch from all of a yard out.

There were strong appeals from Rangers players who felt that Smithies was fouled in the build-up, but the goal stood.

A minute later, Smithies used both hands to beat Conway’s blast from range away, before Rhodes’ effort on the follow-up was deflected wide.

In the 23rd minute, QPR had their first attempt on goal. Karl Henry’s shot from the edge of the box flew just over.

Blackburn were the better team in the first half and, when the half-hour mark arrived, the home crowd had become a little frustrated.

Rangers’ Austin worked a chance for himself in the 34th minute after good work from Massimo Luongo, but could only skew wide from 10 yards.

Seven minutes of injury time were added on in the first half after Spurr’s injury in the opening stages.

Tjaronn Chery missed a glorious opportunity for the R’s in that period. The midfielder could only head Austin’s hanging cross from the right over the crossbar from point-blank range.

At the other end, Smithies produced a fine save to deny Rhodes. It was an equally-excellent chance, with the striker taking aim from no more than three yards out.

After an under-par performance in the first period, Rangers raced out of the traps to draw level almost instantly after the restart.

Luongo crossed from the right and after his first attempt was blocked, Austin smashed home, via the foot of Adam Henley, from close range.

Soon after his goal, Austin was again involved and saw another shot blocked away for a corner.

The home side had appeals for a penalty waved away in the 55th minute, after claiming Henry’s blast inside the box hit the hand of a defender.

Chery then shot wide moments later for Rangers.

Despite the Hoops’ improved showing at the start of the closing period, Blackburn regained the lead in the 61st minute.

Rhodes held off the challenge of Onuoha before dinking the ball over a sprawling Smithies and in.

In the 66th minute, Luongo’s cross-come-shot was fisted away by visiting goalkeeper Jason Steele.

QPR’s first change arrived in the 68th minute. And it was a second home debut for fans’ favourite Jamie Mackie, who replaced Chery.

A minute later, R’s defender Gabriele Angella executed a brave block to keep out Fode Koita’s 20-yard blast.

In the 73rd minute, a sweeping home move eventually found Luongo one-on-one with the goalkeeper 12 yards out but, after delaying, Blackburn eventually recovered to clear the ball for a corner.

After great endeavour from substitute Mackie saw Rangers win a corner, the Hoops equalised once more in the 79th minute.

Tozser’s in-swinging corner from the right found Onuoha at the back post, who rose highest to nod home via the hand of Steele.

Two minutes later, Austin thundered a shot over from 25 yards. Luongo was then denied by the Blackburn ‘keeper.

At the other end, Rovers’ Duffy headed straight at Smithies in the 85th minute.

Substitute Nathan Delfouneso shot over for the visitors shortly after.

Just before four minutes of second-half stoppage time were signalled, Mackie dragged an effort into the side-netting.

And that proved to be the last attempt in what was an entertaining closing half.
    QPR Business Finder is powered by &