Skip to main content



21:00 25th August 2014


QPR Under-21s maintain unbeaten start with goalless draw at Cardiff City on Monday night …

QPR’S UNDER-21S maintained their unbeaten start to the season with a goalless draw at Cardiff City on Monday night.

Steve Gallen’s side enjoyed prolonged periods of possession at the Cardiff City Stadium but couldn’t turn their dominance into a decisive breakthrough.

Jordan Gibbons came closest for Rangers, twice misfiring from tight angles while the R’s defence remained relatively untroubled at the other end on an evening starved of clear-cut chances.

Gallen’s side – which welcomed trialist goalkeeper Neil Etheridge between the sticks – started well in south Wales, forcing the first corner of the match within two minutes. Frankie Sutherland’s dangerous centre, however, escaped everybody in the box.

Rangers continued to enjoy prolonged periods of possession early on, but clearcut chances were at a premium.

Cardiff improved as the half wore on and fashioned the first effort on goal on 15 minutes. Danny Johnson’s effort flew high over the crossbar, before Cole Kpekawa threw his body in the way to deny Tyler Roche moments later.

The hosts were next to threaten again as Rhys Healey escaped Jamie Sendles-White’s attentions. The striker could only drag his shot wide of the R’s far post as Rangers were given a reprieve.

At the other end, Shodipo provided the R’s first shot on goal three minutes before half-time. His shot brought a smart save from Charlie Horton in the Cardiff goal, who reacted quickly to shepherd Aaron Mitchell’s follow-up out for a corner.

Mitchell tried his luck again after the interval, bringing another long spell of Rangers possession to an end from distance. Horton was equal to the midfielder’s effort, though, diving low to his right.

Gibbons was next to go close for the visitors, coming close to breaking the deadlock twice in quick succession. The midfielder latched onto Olamide Shodipo’s pull-back but slashed wide from a tight angle, before lifting Kpekawa’s through ball over from 18 yards.

Chances continued to fall the R’s way as Bruno Andrade enjoyed two opportunities of his own. The winger saw an effort beaten away by Horton, who was relieved to see Andrade’s next attempt fly over from 25 yards.

In the end it was Cardiff who pressed for a late winner but to no avail as both sides were forced to settle for a point apiece come the final whistle.

QPR: Etheride, Furlong, Kpekawa, Comley, Donaldson, Sendles-White, Gibbons (Komodikis 86), Sutherland, Andrade, Mitchell, Shodipo (Kakay 75).

Subs not used: Wise, Lennox, Haran. 

    Related Articles

    QPR Business Finder is powered by &