icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News

Reading vs QPR at Hogwood Park


  • 2 Reading

    • Roy Beerens
    • Ryan East
  • 1 QPR

    • Conor Washington

8th July 2017 12:00 PM

  • Pre-Season Friendly logo

Key Moments

Hide Line-ups



QPR v Reading - Pre-season Friendly - Saturday, 8th July 2017 - Hogwood Park

QPR were defeated 2-1 by Reading in the first of two behind-closed-doors friendlies at the Royals’ Hogwood Park training ground on Saturday.

First-half goals from Roy Beerens and Ryan East were enough to give Reading the victory, while Conor Washington replied for the R's against Jaap Stam's team. 

The first chance of the match fell Reading’s way after good play on the wing from Joey van den Berg forced Matt Ingram into a decent save. 

The resulting quick corner caused Rangers some trouble but Nedum Onouha was alert to clear the danger.

Rangers’ first chance of the match came after 10 minutes. Good footwork from Luke Freeman saw him work the ‘keeper just outside the box.

Reading took the lead five minutes later, though, through Beerens who tapped home following a low cross from Sam Smith down the left-hand-side.

The Hoops’ next chance came on the 25th minute when Jake Bidwell connected well with a volley from a corner but it went just over the crossbar. 

A few minutes later Ingram was forced into action again. Tyler Blackett whipped a cross from the left with Smith heading low into the hands of the R’s custodian.

The Royals doubled their lead in the 37th minute and it was once again down their left-hand-side. Beerens twisted and turned in the box before picking out East who finished confidently into the bottom corner. 

But QPR were given the chance to halve the deficit almost immediately when Matt Smith was hauled down in the penalty box. Washington converted the resulting spot kick and Holloway's side were back in the game. 

After a slow start to the second half Rangers created a fantastic chance. Bidwell's long pass was controlled by Washington who expertly guided it into the path of strike partner Smith in the box but the forward hit his shot over from 12 yards. 

Both teams began to enjoy decent spells of possession albeit without too much goal-mouth action. Rangers forced a succession of corners and in the 70th minute Furlong went close from a Freeman delivery. 

With 15 minutes to play Reading changed their whole outfield team which seemed to slow the pace of the game down. However, late on Rangers did have a chance to equalise when Smith teed up Furlong for a header but his effort was straight at the ‘keeper. 

With five minutes to go another strong run from Freeman in midfield saw him play in Furlong who crossed for Smith but his header went over the bar with what would proved the final chance of the first match.

QPR: Ingram, Furlong, Onuoha, Hamalainen (Phillips 74), Bidwell, Hall (Owens 74), Manning, Freeman, Washington, Smith, Eze (Chair 56).

Goal: Washington (pen) 40.