icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News

Brentford vs Queens Park Rangers at Griffin Park


  • 3 Brentford

    • 19'‘ Saïd Benrahma
    • 23'‘ Bryan Mbeumo
    • 33'‘ Ollie Watkins
  • 1 Queens Park Rangers

    • 62'‘ Nahki Wells


  • Sky Bet Championship logo

Key Moments

  • Wells finishes off a neat move to pull one back for the R's
  • Watkins heads in Brentford's third
  • Mbeumo prods home a bouncing ball to double Brentford's lead
  • Benrahma fires the home side ahead
Hide Line-ups
  • 1 GK Raya Martin
  • 22 D Dalsgaard
  • 3 D Henry
  • 6 M Nørgaard
  • 18 D Jansson
  • 5 D Pinnock
  • 8 M Jensen (0‘)
  • 14 M Josh Dasilva (0‘)
  • 11 FWD Watkins
  • 19 M Mbeumo (0‘)
  • 10 M Benrahma
  • 1 GK Lumley
  • 2 D Kane
  • 14 M Manning
  • 12 D Ball (0‘)
  • 4 D Hall
  • 5 M Cameron
  • 20 M Bright Samuel
  • 8 M Amos
  • 21 FWD Wells (0‘)
  • 19 M Chair (0‘)
  • 10 M Eze


  • 28 GK Daniels
  • 12 M Mokotjo (0‘)
  • 16 M Valencia Castillo (0‘)
  • 23 D Jeanvier
  • 17 M Emiliano Marcondes (0‘)
  • 2 D Thompson
  • 31 Zamburek
  • 3 D Wallace
  • 7 Pugh
  • 11 M Scowen
  • 23 D Masterson (0‘)
  • 32 GK Kelly
  • 9 FWD Hugill (0‘)
  • 17 M Shodipo (0‘)
John Brooks

THREE first-half goals did the damage at Griffin Park, where Rangers fell to a 3-1 defeat to west London neighbours Brentford.

Said Benrahma (19 minutes), Bryan Mbeumo (23) and Ollie Watkins (33) were all on target to put the promotion-chasing Bees firmly in the driving seat before half-time.

QPR weren’t such spectators after the break and, in the 62nd minute, pulled a goal back through top scorer Nahki Wells.

But that strike was little more than a consolation effort in the end, as our recent forgettable record against the Bees continued.

Rangers came into this fixture on the back of 6-1 and 5-1 victories over Cardiff City in the Championship and Swansea City in the third round of the FA Cup respectively.

On his return to Griffin Park, Hoops boss Mark Warburton – the former Brentford manager, of course – made two changes to the starting XI which overcame Cardiff in our last league outing.

Todd Kane and Ryan Manning came in for the R’s. Toni Leistner missed out altogether owing to injury, while Lee Wallace dropped down among the substitutes.

In a 4-2-3-1 formation, Rangers lined up as: Joe Lumley; Kane, Geoff Cameron, Grant Hall (captain), Manning; Dom Ball, Luke Amos; Bright Osayi-Samuel, Ilias Chair, Ebere Eze; Wells.

With Brentford third in the Championship, free-scoring and also sporting the meanest defence in the league, on paper at least this looked an extremely tough test for the R’s – despite those aforementioned big wins over Cardiff and Swansea.

This being the last-ever west London derby at a sold-out Griffin Park – ahead of the Bees’ move to a new stadium next term – only served to add to the occasion, too.

When the game got underway, there was little to separate the sides early on.

The first real moment of note came in the seventh minute – Brentford having strong claims for a penalty rejected by referee John Brooks, after Bees top scorer Watkins went down after clashing with Cameron in the area.

Two minutes later, Watkins also went close with the opening effort of the contest, his low box attempt deflecting just wide.

At the other end, Brentford goalkeeper David Raya was tested for the first time in the 13th minute. He pulled off a fine save to tip the ball over, after a home defender turned Manning’s left-wing centre towards his own goal.

But it was Brentford who would strike the first blow, edging ahead in the 19th minute.

After the R’s conceded a free-kick on the right-hand byline, Mathias Jensen’s low, driven free-kick was fired home by Benrahma from 12 yards.

And one-nil was soon two, come the 23rd minute.

Lumley’s mishit clearance was returned by Christian Norgaard, whose looped ball forward saw Mbeumo subsequently shake off Cameron to poke the ball into the bottom left-hand corner.

Those two goals left Rangers on the ropes and, in the following minutes, the visitors really did have to hang on to prevent a Brentford third.

The home side would eventually extend their lead, though, adding said third goal in the 33rd minute to surely put this game to bed before half-time.

Bees striker Watkins registered his 18th goal of the campaign, heading in at close-range after Ethan Pinnock guided another Jensen free-kick back across the target.

In truth, Rangers looked dejected and, though there were 45 minutes still left to play, even the most ardent R’s fan would have struggled to see a way back for the visitors, against a buoyant Brentford.

Warburton opted to make a change at the break, with young Conor Masterson introduced – at the expense of Ball – for his first league appearance.

Brentford so nearly added a fourth goal at the start of the second half, as Benrahma’s 20-yard free-kick in the 47th minute only just evaded the foot of the left-hand post.

Rangers’ maiden attempt of the closing period arrived three minutes later, with Cameron’s distance drive sailing wide.

Benrahma again tried his luck with a 20-yard set-piece in the 56th minute, with the latest effort forcing a smart catch from Hoops ‘keeper Lumley.

Then the R’s gave themselves a glimmer of hope just past the hour mark, reducing the deficit to two goals.

A neat one-two between Amos and Osayi-Samuel put the latter in the clear on the right-hand byline, before the winger's low centre was touched home from close range by Wells.

From nowhere, Rangers sensed a second goal would make things really interesting.

Chances didn’t exactly flow after that R’s reply, with the visitors making a second sub on 71 minutes. Jordan Hugill replaced Wells.

That man Hugill was subsequently involved in what was certainly a missed opportunity by Rangers 15 minutes from the end. Manning’s hanging left-flank centre was headed back across goal by the West Ham loanee, before Osayi-Samuel shot wide from 10 yards.

Three minutes later, meanwhile, Eze also spurned an excellent R’s chance – driving low at Raya from inside box, that following another Manning centre.

Brentford had admittedly taken their foot off the gas after such a dominant first-half showing, while Rangers – now searching for a second goal – used their final sub when Olamide Shodipo came on for Chair in the 81st minute.

Unfortunately, though, that second strike would evade the R’s – who were ultimately made to pay for their first-half performance here.

Watkins subsequently went close to adding gloss to the scoreline for Brentford in the dying embers, though skewed marginally wide on three separate occasions.