icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News

Huddersfield Town vs Queens Park Rangers at John Smith's Stadium


  • 2 Huddersfield Town

    • 57'‘ Elias Kachunga
    • 61'‘ Steve Mounie (Pen)
  • 0 Queens Park Rangers


  • Sky Bet Championship logo

Key Moments

  • Mounie makes it 2-0 from the penalty spot
  • Kachunga heads the home side in front
Hide Line-ups
  • 49 GK Lössl
  • 17 D Simpson
  • 3 D Toffolo
  • 39 M O'Brien
  • 12 D Stearman
  • 26 D Schindler
  • 9 FWD Kachunga (0‘)
  • 6 M Hogg
  • 24 FWD Mounie (0‘)
  • 32 M Smith Rowe
  • 7 M Bacuna (0‘)
  • 32 GK Kelly
  • 2 D Kane
  • 3 D Wallace
  • 12 D Ball
  • 4 D Hall
  • 23 D Masterson
  • 20 M Bright Samuel (0‘)
  • 8 M Amos (0‘)
  • 9 FWD Hugill
  • 10 M Eze
  • 19 M Chair (0‘)


  • 13 GK Coleman
  • 27 D Stankovic
  • 25 FWD Pyke
  • 10 M Willock (0‘)
  • 8 D Chalobah
  • 29 M King (0‘)
  • 22 FWD Campbell (0‘)
  • 29 D Barbet
  • 14 M Manning
  • 1 GK Lumley
  • 7 M Pugh (0‘)
  • 47 M Clarke (0‘)
  • 18 FWD Oteh (0‘)
  • 22 D Rangel
David Webb

QPR suffered a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Huddersfield Town with the damage being done in the space of four second-half minutes.

After a slow start to the match, Rangers grew into it and would certainly have been the happier of the two sides at the break. 

But following the interval, the Terriers took the lead with a close-range header from Elias Kachunga and moments later were able to double that lead from the box when Lee Wallace was adjudged to have brought down the goalscorer in the box. Steve Mounie slammed home the resultant spot-kick.

The closest Rangers came to scoring was in the first half when Ebere Eze had a shot well saved, while Grant Hall saw a header come back off the post.

Mark Warburton stuck with the same starting XI that lost narrowly to Bristol City last weekend, while forward Aramide Oteh was on the bench at the John Smith’s Stadium following his return from his loan with Bradford.

It meant the R’s lined up with Liam Kelly between the posts behind a back four, from left to right, of Lee Wallace, Conor Masteron, Grant Hall and Todd Kane.

Luke Amos partnered Dom Ball in front of the defence while Ilias Chair, Ebere Eze and Bright Osayi-Samuel played behind lone striker Jordan Hugill.

While Rangers were looking to get back on track following a run of three defeats in all competitions, Huddersfield had lost four of their previous six and were keen to rediscover the run of results which had moved them away from the relegation zone since the arrival of Danny Cowley and brother Nicky.

Ahead of the fixture, The Terriers were 20th in the table and three places above the relegation zone. Rangers occupied 17th spot, six points ahead of their hosts.

Lewis O’Brien flashed an early shot wide for Huddersfield while in the eighth minute Hugill fired wide after a great lobbed ball from Eze.

Elias Kachunga nearly got on the end of a low delivery from the left in the 17th minute but Wallace tracked him well and was crucially on hand to clear the danger for the R’s.

There were few clear-cut chances of note for either side in the opening 20 minutes but on 24 minutes Eze nut-mugged two Huddersfield players before firing goalwards from 25 yards, and his effort was palmed away by goalkeeper Jonas Lossl.

A moment later the stadium applauded for 60 seconds in memory of Jordan Sinnott, and it led to the game being paused while the emotional acknowledgement took place for the former Huddersfield academy graduate who tragically died last month at the age of just 25.

On 32 minutes Rangers went close again and Eze was at the heart of it once more, before the ball fell for Amos whose fierce drive from 20 yards was tipped over by Lossl.

From the resultant corner Hall’s header from Eze’s centre looped beyond the keeper but bounced agonisingly back off the far post.

It was certainly QPR’s best spell of the game and Osayi-Samuel was next to have a go but his effort was well wide after great link-up play with Eze, Chair and Wallace deep in the Huddersfield half.

Christopher Schindler called Kelly into action shortly before half-time with a fine downward header but the R’s stopper was equal to it.

After the break, Richard Stearman had an early chance to give the hosts the lead when he got on the end of Kachunga’s knock-down but his half-volley was thankfully right at Kelly from close range, and the R’s stopper gathered well.

But on 57 minutes Kelly could do nothing to prevent Kachunga taking the lead with a close-range header, with the Huddersfield striker getting on the end of Harry Toffolo’s cross from the left byline.

It was a cruel blow for Rangers and things got worse for the visitors just two minutes later when Wallace was harshly adjudged to have brought down Kachunga in the area. Replays showed Wallace had made little contact but the spot-kick was awarded, and Steve Mounie duly converted from 12 yards.

All of a sudden, QPR had a mountain to climb at the John Smith’s Stadium. Warburton swiftly made a double change, bringing on Marc Pugh and Jack Clarke at the expense of Amos and Chair.

The stadium was in full voice and the hosts were now playing with real confidence, making the challenge ever harder for Rangers.

Kelly was called into a fine finger-tip save to deny Emile Smith-Rowe in the 77th minute while at the other end Wallace fired over from 20 yards as he looked to reduce the deficit.

Substitute Andy King came close to making it 3-0 with a low curling effort which fizzed just wide and in the closing stages Oteh came on for Rangers at the expense of Osayi-Samuel but had few opportunities to make an impact on the game as the hosts saw the match out.