icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News

Queens Park Rangers vs Swansea City at Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium

Jordan Hugill volleys at goal in the first half

  • 1 Queens Park Rangers

    • 66'‘ Jordan Hugill
  • 3 Swansea City

    • 29'‘ Bersant Celina
    • 70'‘ Borja Bastón (Pen)
    • 80'‘ Sam Surridge


  • Sky Bet Championship logo

Key Moments

Hide Line-ups
  • 1 GK Lumley
  • 2 D Kane
  • 14 M Manning
  • 5 M Cameron (0‘)
  • 4 D Hall
  • 29 D Barbet
  • 20 M Bright Samuel
  • 8 M Amos (0‘)
  • 9 FWD Hugill
  • 6 M Smith (0‘)
  • 10 M Eze
  • 27 GK Woodman
  • 23 D Roberts
  • 24 D Bidwell
  • 8 M Grimes
  • 5 D van der Hoorn
  • 4 Rodon
  • 22 FWD Ayew (0‘)
  • 6 M Fulton
  • 9 FWD Borja Bastón (0‘)
  • 28 Byers (0‘)
  • 10 M Celina


  • 19 M Chair (0‘)
  • 37 D Leistner
  • 7 M Pugh (0‘)
  • 11 M Scowen (0‘)
  • 16 FWD Mlakar
  • 32 GK Kelly
  • 21 FWD Wells
  • 15 M Routledge
  • 26 D Naughton (0‘)
  • 19 Surridge (0‘)
  • 20 D Wilmot
  • 41 M Garrick (0‘)
  • 21 M Dhanda
  • 1 GK Nordfeldt
Paul Tierney

RANGERS fell to their second successive defeat at the hands of Swansea City, who also kept up their impressive start to the season with this 3-1 success in W12.

Bersant Celina’s 29th-minute effort, following a visiting counter attack, put Steve Cooper’s men in front at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

QPR bounced back after the break when Jordan Hugill finished off an excellent team move in the 66th minute.

But it was Swansea who would take a third win in their opening four Sky Bet Championship fixtures.

First Borja converted from the penalty spot in the 70th minute, after Yoann Barbet felled Jordon Garrick, before sub Sam Surridge put the game to bed with his headed effort 10 minutes from time.

Following Saturday’s 2-0 reverse at Bristol City, R’s boss Mark Warburton made one change to his starting XI for the visit of the Swans.

Todd Kane came in for Angel Rangel, who sat out completely against his former employers.

Rangers, in a 4-1-4-1 formation, lined up as: Joe Lumley; Kane, Grant Hall (captain), Barbet, Ryan Manning; Geoff Cameron; Bright Osayi-Samuel, Luke Amos, Matt Smith, Ebere Eze; Hugill.

On a mild west London evening, QPR were first to go close. Eze looked to finish off a well-worked home move, but could only shoot beyond the right-hand post after advancing into the box.

A minute later, Osayi-Samuel also threatened – beating three men before his fierce effort was blocked by Swansea’s Joe Rodon.

At the other end, in the 10th minute, City’s Jay Fulton fired over from 25 yards. Then two minutes later, Rangers went their closest yet.

Manning picked out Hugill on the edge of the visitors' penalty area with a cleverly-worked corner kick, before the latter chested the ball down and fired just inches over on the volley.

In terms of attempts, the R’s were certainly asking questions of Swansea. In the 19th minute, Eze won back possession down the left, before his subsequent, low 20-yard blast was tipped around the post by goalkeeper Freddie Woodman.

From the resultant right-flank set-piece, an unmarked Barbet – albeit on the stretch – could only poke his close-range effort wide at the back post.

The first half made for an open encounter and, soon after that Barbet attempt, Celina’s curling 20-yard shot forced Lumley into a fingertip save at the Loft End.

Swansea then opened the scoring just short of the half-hour mark – hurting Rangers on the counter attack.

After QPR surrendered possession in their own half, Andre Ayew led the visiting breakaway and, when he fed Celina to skip through in behind the home defence, the Kosovan international kept his cool to slide home past an onrushing Lumley.

Warburton’s R’s were subsequently dealt a further blow, with an injured Amos forced to come off. So Josh Scowen took his place.

Rangers didn’t exactly deserve to be behind but, despite the disappointment of that, still posed a threat up to half-time – even though Swansea finished the opening period with their one-goal lead still intact.

A second Hoops change was made at the break, with Ilias Chair replacing Cameron. Seven minutes after the interval, meanwhile, Warburton used his last substitution. Smith made way for Marc Pugh.

QPR went close in the 57th minute, with Kane’s right-flank delivery striking the crossbar. Then, a minute later, Scowen’s 20-yard half-volley flew only marginally past of the target.

Rangers were beginning to knock on the visiting door and, in the 59th minute, had appeals for a penalty turned away when Chair’s close-range effort appeared to strike the hand of former QPR left-back Jake Bidwell – following fine approach play by Pugh.

But the R’s finally levelled matters in the 66th minute following a wonderful team move.

Rangers worked the ball from left to right and, when Chair hung up a cross for Hugill, he expertly planted a header into the bottom left-hand corner.

The home crowd now lifted, QPR so nearly took the lead a minute later when Chair and Kane both saw box efforts blocked by the Swansea defence in quick succession – the R’s also claiming for handball once more during that passage of play.

However, the visitors regained their lead from the penalty spot in the 70th minute.

Barbet’s challenge on sub Garrick left referee Paul Tierney with little option but to issue a spot-kick, with Borja then stepping up to power home his fourth goal of the season from 12 yards.

Behind again, Rangers threatened a second equaliser when Kane’s edge-of-the-box attempt was first repelled by Woodman, before the R’s full-back followed up to scuff wide.

But there would be no coming back from going behind once again – Swansea adding a third goal on 80 minutes to put this game to bed.

Ayew’s powerful cross from the left was guided home by the head of Surridge, ensuring Swansea embarked on their journey back up the M4 with all three points.


Highlights: QPR 1, Swansea City 3

WATCH highlights from QPR's 3-1 defeat to Swansea City at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium on Wednesday night.