icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News

Oxford United vs QPR at Kassam Stadium


  • 1 Oxford United

    • Matty Taylor
  • 0 QPR


  • Friendly logo

Key Moments

Hide Line-ups


John Busby

QPR slipped to a slender defeat at Oxford United in the second fixture of our pre-season campaign.

Matty Taylor’s second-half strike (63 minutes) was enough to hand the hosts victory, as Rangers were unable to break down Karl Robinson’s League One outfit at the Kassam Stadium.

On a blustery afternoon, Mark Warburton’s R’s were first to go close, in the 13th minute.

First, Ilias Chair saw his box effort deflect wide following impressive build-up play by the R’s. Then, from the resultant corner, Geoff Cameron’s downward header was pushed away by home goalkeeper Simon Eastwood.

The first half was far from a thriller. Just short of the half-hour mark, good work by Lee Wallace ended with the full-back fizzing over a cross for Luke Amos, who could only head over the target.

At the other end, Oxford went close with the best chance yet, in the 34th minute, as Taylor headed over a deflected centre at point-blank range.

Two minutes later, new Rangers recruit Lyndon Dykes saw his double attempt snuffed out by the home defence, after Bright Osayi-Samuel and Ossie Kakay combined to feed the former Livingston striker.

And in minutes 38 and 42, QPR’s Ilias Chair threatened with two efforts of his own.

Into the second half, and Taylor wasted another glorious close-range opportunity for the hosts in the 52nd minute – somehow heading substitute James Henry’s right-wing cross over.

Oxford would open the scoring in the 63rd minute, however – Taylor eventually back-heeling the ball home after the home side swung over a corner from the left.

Rangers tried to make amends and, in the 68th minute, Chair curled marginally wide – five minutes before Todd Kane should have done better when being teed up by fellow sub Mide Shodipo in the box.

In the 78th minute, Oxford’s Henry should have made it 2-0, spurning a fine chance, while Dan Agyei slid marginally wide for the hosts soon after.

The introduction of Paul Smyth for the final 15 minutes injected pace into QPR’s attack and, in the 85th minute, he raced away to feed Rem Oteh in the penalty area – who swiped at his shot.

That proved to be Rangers’ final opportunity of note, with Liam Kelly also having to keep out Derrick Osei Yaw’s final-minute attempt for the home side.

QPR: Kelly; Kakay (Kane 60), Masterson (Gubbins 75), Barbet (Hamalainen 75), Wallace (Manning 46); Cameron (Bettache 75), Ball; Osayi-Samuel (Shodipo 75), Amos (Alfa 75), Chair (Smyth 75); Dykes (Oteh 75).