icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News

Rotherham United vs Queens Park Rangers at AESSEAL New York Stadium


  • 3 Rotherham United

    • 64'‘ Freddie Ladapo
    • 66'‘ Freddie Ladapo
    • 90'‘ Michael Smith
  • 1 Queens Park Rangers

    • 52'‘ Lyndon Dykes


  • Sky Bet Championship logo

Key Moments

  • Michael Smith wrapped up the game with a 90th minute strike.
  • Ladapo was at it again two minutes later to give the Millers the lead.
  • Freddie Ladapo netted the leveller on 64 minutes.
  • Lyndon Dykes gave QPR the lead on 52 minutes.
Hide Line-ups
  • 1 GK Johansson
  • 22 D Olosunde (0‘)
  • 30 M Giles
  • 15 D Robertson
  • 21 D Angus MacDonald
  • 19 D Harding
  • 26 M Barlaser
  • 8 Wiles (0‘)
  • 10 FWD Freddie Ladapo (0‘)
  • 25 M Crooks (0‘)
  • 4 M Shaun MacDonald (0‘)
  • 13 GK Dieng
  • 24 D Kakay
  • 25 D Hämäläinen
  • 6 D Barbet
  • 5 D de Wijs (0‘)
  • 4 D Dickie
  • 15 M Field (0‘)
  • 14 M Johansen
  • 19 M Thomas (0‘)
  • 29 FWD Kelman (0‘)
  • 9 FWD Dykes


  • 6 D Wood (0‘)
  • 24 FWD Smith (0‘)
  • 28 M Jozefzoon
  • 27 GK Blackman
  • 17 M Sadlier (0‘)
  • 16 M Lindsay (0‘)
  • 9 FWD Hirst
  • 11 M Ogbene
  • 5 M Wing (0‘)
  • 37 M Adomah
  • 2 D Kane (0‘)
  • 12 D Ball
  • 21 M Willock (0‘)
  • 1 GK Lumley
  • 7 FWD Bonne (0‘)
  • 41 M Duke-McKenna
  • 10 M Chair (0‘)
  • 26 Bettache
Dean Whitestone

QPR suffered a 3-1 defeat at Rotherham, with a quick-fire double from Freddie Ladapo turning the game on its head after Lyndon Dykes had given Rangers the lead, before Michael Smith scored a third in the final minute.

Following a goalless first half, the game exploded into life during a 14-minute spell after the interval.
Dykes smashed home his tenth goal for QPR this season on 52 minutes to give the visitors the lead at the New York Stadium, but the response from the hosts was swift – and decisive.

Ladapo levelled from close range on 64 minutes and slid the ball past Seny Dieng in the Rangers goal again just two minutes later to give the hosts the lead.

As QPR searched for an equaliser they were caught on the break in the final minute, with substitute Smith slotting home.

It was a disappointing result for the R’s and a huge win for the Millers in their battle for Championship survival.

Mark Warburton made three changes from the side that beat Sheffield Wednesday 4-1 at the weekend, bringing in Niko Hamalainen, George Thomas and Charlie Kelman, and in doing so giving the latter his full QPR debut.

Ilias Chair and Chris Willock were named on the bench while Lee Wallace was rested after a series of games.

It meant the R’s lined up with Seny Dieng between the posts behind a back three of Yoann Barbet, who skippered the side, Jordy De Wijs and Rob Dickie.

Hamalainen took up a left wingback role while Osman Kakay did likewise on the right.

Stefan Johansen and Sam Field continued their partnership in the centre of the park behind Thomas, who played in the hole off the striking due of Kelman and the in-form Lyndon Dykes.

The hosts were preparing for their second of four matches in the space of eight days knowing the outcome of these games would go a long way to determining their future in the Championship.

It was Rangers who started the stronger, with Thomas unable to get on the end of Johansen’s floated free-kick in the sixth minute, with his attempted volley spinning off target, much to the former Coventry man’s frustration.

On 15 minutes, Kelman’s snapshot was blocked and fell into the path of Thomas who went close with a speculative effort from 25 yards.

It was an encouraging start by Thomas who was heavily involved in QPR’s attacking threat and getting plenty of time on the ball.

And on 18 minutes, he was at it again. Barbet picked him out with a superb 50-yard pass, and Thomas then played a neat one-two with Johansen which afforded him space on the edge of the box but his low drive was a foot wide of the upright.

Dan Barlaser registered Rotherham’s first real chance of note on 20 minutes but his shot from distance was straight at Dieng, and comfortably gathered by the R’s stopper.

Millers skipper Matt Crooks came within inches of giving the hosts the lead on 28 minutes when he found space on the left but his shot across the face of goal rolled just wide of the far post.

They served as warnings for Rangers, and three minutes later Dickie nearly picked out Dykes with a lovely, flighted ball from the right side but the ball was slightly too high for the Scotland striker to connect.

It was a frantic opening 30 minutes with no real pattern to the game, but Kelman gave a glimpse of his attacking capability with a stunning strike from 25 yards which had Rotherham keeper Viktor Johansson diving full stretch to tip around the post.

Rangers enjoyed a period of possession as the first half came to an end, and Kakay almost found the top corner from 25 yards with a fine attempt with his left foot but it was another good save by Johannson which kept the game goalless.

Just before the interval, De Wijs took a nasty whack to the face from the onrushing Matt Olosunde which led to a bloody nose for the Dutchman and an enforced change, with Todd Kane replacing him and taking up a right wingback position, with Kakay moving to right centre-back.

And on 52 minutes Dykes smashed QPR into the lead with a stunning strike. Kakay picked up the ball on the right and advanced before finding the Scotland international who took one touch in the box before slamming the ball into the roof of the net.

It was Dykes’ fifth goal in as many games, and the finish was that of a man brimming with confidence.

Rotherham knew they had to respond swiftly – and they did with a two-minute brace from Freddie Ladapo.

Firstly, he levelled on 62 minutes when he got on the end of substitute Lewis Wing’s centre before smashing the ball home.

Buoyed by that strike, Ladapo then sprung the Rangers offside trap and calmly slotted beyond Dieng.

It was a swift double-blow and turned this game on its head when the R’s looked to have taken control of the match with Dykes’ effort.

Kelman was replaced by Macauley Bonne shortly after as Warburton looked to add fresh legs to the visiting attack.

The hosts maintained their momentum, however, and had a period of domination as they went in search of a third to really take the game away from the R’s.

Dieng showed great bravery on 75 minutes to thwart Michael Smith, as the big striker flew in to get on the end of a centre. Dieng took a heavy knock for his troubles, while the Rotherham forward went into the referee’s book.

Ladapo flashed a couple of chances wide as he went in search of a hat-trick, while QPR were battling to get a foothold in the game.

With ten minutes remaining, Chair and Willock came on for Field and Thomas respectively to try and wrestle back control of the match.

Barlaser was next to go close for Rotherham but his effort was deflected wide and Dieng was able to deal with the resultant corner.

In the closing minutes, Rangers committed men forward in search of a leveller but Rotherham defended well, and netted a third in the 90th minute when Smith caught the R’s out on the break.

It wrapped up a disappointing night in South Yorkshire for QPR, who will now look to put things right on Saturday when they travel to Middlesbrough.