icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News

Stoke City vs Queens Park Rangers at bet365 Stadium

Kakay shows his delight after netting his first league goal for QPR.

  • 0 Stoke City

  • 2 Queens Park Rangers

    • 17'‘ Charlie Austin
    • 70'‘ Osman Kakay


  • Sky Bet Championship logo

Key Moments

  • Kakay adds QPR second
  • Austin opens the scoring for R's
Hide Line-ups
  • 16 GK Davies
  • 14 D Smith (0‘)
  • 46 D Norrington-Davies
  • 13 M John Obi Mikel
  • 6 D Batth
  • 36 Souttar
  • 49 M Matondo
  • 22 M Clucas
  • 21 FWD Fletcher (0‘)
  • 25 M Powell (0‘)
  • 35 D Tymon
  • 13 GK Dieng
  • 24 D Kakay
  • 3 D Wallace
  • 6 D Barbet
  • 5 D de Wijs
  • 4 D Dickie
  • 10 M Chair (0‘)
  • 14 M Johansen (0‘)
  • 21 M Willock (0‘)
  • 9 FWD Dykes
  • 45 FWD Austin (0‘)


  • 9 FWD Vokes (0‘)
  • 24 M Cousins
  • 34 M Thompson (0‘)
  • 39 D Forrester
  • 44 Norton
  • 18 M Brown (0‘)
  • 43 D Coates
  • 40 GK Nna Noukeu
  • 51 Jones
  • 37 M Adomah
  • 22 M Carroll
  • 2 D Kane
  • 7 FWD Bonne (0‘)
  • 19 M Thomas (0‘)
  • 15 M Field (0‘)
  • 25 D Hämäläinen
  • 26 Bettache (0‘)
  • 35 GK Walsh
Craig Pawson

QPR recorded their eighth away win of the season with a comfortable 2-0 win at Stoke City, thanks to goals from Charlie Austin and Ossie Kakay.

Austin slammed home the opener with typical ruthlessness in the first half while Kakay finished off a stunning team move to seal the points after the break.

Rangers, led by assistant boss John Eustace in the absence of Mark Warburton who could not travel due to knee surgery, were good value for their win.

There was one change from the side that lost to Norwich City last weekend, with Austin in for George Thomas.

It meant Rangers lined up with Seny Dieng between the posts behind a back three of Yoann Barbet, Jordy De Wijs and Rob Dickie.

Lee Wallace, QPR captain in the absence of Geoff Cameron, operated as a wingback on the left with Ossie Kakay doing likewise on the right.

Stefan Johansen sat in front of the back three, while Ilias Chair and Chris Willock were in more advanced positions behind the striking partnership of Austin and Lyndon Dykes.

Stoke City were aiming to end their home campaign on a high after a season that started well, but had tailed off in recent months.

In December they were firmly in the play-off hunt and just two points off the automatic spots but three wins from their previous 13 games has seen the Potters slip to 13th in the table.

Sam Clucas flashed a shot well wide in the early exchanges as both sides battled to take control of the fixture.

Chair had a low effort from a tight angle blocked after good work by Johansen, but real opportunities were at a premium in the opening ten minutes at the bet365 Stadium.

With the game less than 15 minutes old the hosts were forced into a change when the influential Nick Powell had to come off. He was replaced by Jordan Thompson.

And on 17 minutes Austin showed just how clinical he is in front of goal with a thunderous strike.

Dykes did brilliantly to win possession off Stoke defender Harry Souttar, and he quickly released Austin who took one touch to set himself before firing beyond Adam Davies from 18 yards.

It was Austin’s seventh goal since rejoining Rangers on loan in January.

Following the goal, Stoke tried to push forwards but didn’t really test Dieng, although Josh Tymon had a good chance to do precisely that after latching on to Steve Fletcher’s flick, but his effort was off target.

On 37 minutes, Willock’s trickery afforded him shooting space on the edge of the Stoke area but Davies was able to comfortably gather, which was just as well for the hosts as Austin was lurking for any rebounds.

After the break, Chair had a glorious chance to double Rangers’ lead when Kakay’s low delivery from the right bounced into his path, but it came at an awkward height and Chair’s flick from eight yards drifted wide of the far post.

Moments later, Austin nearly netted his second of the afternoon when he peeled away into space to meet Chair’s targeted corner, but the R’s striker’s shot was saved by the feet of Davies, while referee Craig Pawson blew up in any case for an infringement in the box.

With just under 30 minutes remaining Austin was replaced by Sam Field as Eustace looked to tighten up defensively as the Potters looked to commit players forward.

Field joined Johansen, sitting just in front of the back three while Dykes led the attacking line.
And in the 70th minute a wonderful flowing move saw Rangers make it 2-0.

Chair slid the ball into the path of Wallace down the left, and he pulled it back for Johansen. Just when it looked like the Norwegian was about to pull the trigger he played the ball to his right for the onrushing Kakay who slammed beyond Davies for his first QPR league goal.

It was a fantastic strike and a stunning team move.

Chair was replaced moments later by George Thomas, while Willock and Johansen came off for Macauley Bonne and Faysal Bettache.

In the closing ten minutes, Rangers controlled the pace of the game and were happy for Stoke to have the ball in certain areas. The visitors looked comfortable defensively while a threat on the break.

Potters sub Sam Vokes had a great chance to reduce the arrears in the 87th minute with an effort from close range but he could only pull his shot wide.

In truth, QPR looked largely assured and successfully saw the game out to seal all three points in their final away fixture of this bizarre 2020/21 campaign.