icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News

Cardiff City vs QPR at Cardiff City Stadium


  • 0 Cardiff City

  • 1 QPR

    • 37'‘ Andre Gray


  • Sky Bet Championship logo

Key Moments

  • Gray gives R's first-half lead
Hide Line-ups
  • 25 GK Smithies
  • 38 D Ng
  • 26 M Giles
  • 16 D Nelson
  • 4 D Morrison
  • 2 D McGuinness
  • 6 D Vaulks (0‘)
  • 21 M Pack
  • 10 FWD Moore
  • 27 M Colwill
  • 36 M Evans (0‘)
  • 1 GK Dieng
  • 37 M Adomah
  • 22 D Odubajo
  • 6 D Barbet
  • 20 D Dunne
  • 4 D Dickie
  • 17 M Dozzell (0‘)
  • 7 M Johansen
  • 10 M Chair (0‘)
  • 9 FWD Dykes
  • 19 FWD Gray (0‘)


  • 5 D Flint
  • 7 M Bacuna
  • 8 M Ralls (0‘)
  • 1 GK Phillips
  • 29 M Harris (0‘)
  • 30 D Brown
  • 35 FWD Zimba
  • 11 FWD Austin (0‘)
  • 13 GK Archer
  • 12 Ball (0‘)
  • 8 M Amos (0‘)
  • 14 M Thomas
  • 2 D Kakay
  • 34 M Duke-McKenna
Andy Woolmer

QPR grabbed a big three away points at Cardiff City to move into the play-off places.

Andre Gray’s 37th minute goal proved to be the difference between the two sides, and the victory moved the R’s into fifth place in the Championship.

After a first half of few clear-cut opportunities, the R’s took the lead shortly before the break with a well-taken goal from Andre Gray.

Andre Dozzell, who was constantly looking to link up the play from defence to attack alongside Stefan Johansen, unpicked the Cardiff backline with a sublime pass into the feet of Gray.

The Watford loanee made the most of it as he thrashed the ball into the back of the net after taking a touch to set himself.

Mark Warburton made three changes from the side that drew with Nottingham Forest on Friday night, bringing in Jimmy Dunne, Moses Odubajo and Gray for Jordy De Wijs, Sam McCallum and Chris Willock.

De Wijs missed out with a calf injury and isn’t expected back before the international break while McCallum has been sidelined for a number of weeks with a hamstring issue sustained in that draw with Forest.

Willock wasn’t involved at the Cardiff City Stadium due to personal reasons.

It meant Seny Dieng lined up between the posts behind a back three of Yoann Barbet, Dunne and Rob Dickie, with the in-form Albert Adomah on the right and Odubajo on the left.

Johansen was joined in the centre of the park once again by Dozzell while Ilias Chair operated in the hole behind a strikeforce of Lyndon Dykes and Gray.

Rangers headed to south Wales aiming to shake off the disappointment of their controversial cup exit to Sunderland as well as that late Forest goal on Friday night.

In the home dugout for the first-time since taking over as interim manager after the departure of Mick McCarthy was Steve Morison.

Morison oversaw a stunning comeback at Stoke in his first game as Bluebirds boss four days ago as they rescued a 3-3 draw from 3-0 down.

It was Cardiff who started the brighter tonight and almost took the lead on four minutes when Perry NG was picked out on the edge of the box by Ryan Giles, but thankfully for Rangers he put his low, curling effort just wide of the post with Dieng rooted to the spot.

The lively Rubin Colwill had a shot from distance was well gathered by Dieng but, aside from that early NG chance, the opening 15 minutes passed without any further opportunities of note in either penalty box. 

Both sides seemed content to suss each other out during the early exchanges. 

On 17 minutes, Gray had former R Alex Smithies scampering across his line with a deft header from Adomah’s centre which bounced just wide of the far post.

The game had developed into a chess match with the two teams cancelling each other out, and you sensed it was going to take a moment of real quality to break the deadlock.

And that moment came from the boot of Dozzell.

It was Gray who blasted QPR into the lead with an excellent strike on 37 minutes but it was the stunning ball from Dozzell which made it all possible.

With seemingly little on, the former Ipswich man picked out Gray with a fantastic pass, and Gray took a touch before slamming the ball beyond Smithies for his third goal in QPR colours.

The 600+ R’s fans at the other end of the pitch were in full voice as they celebrated the goal which was enough to give the visitors a half-time lead.

The game was a more open affair after the break. With Cardiff forced to come out, it gave the R’s space to exploit and they almost did that to good effect when Dykes was picked out on the right but his drive from 10 yards was parried to safety by Smithies.

Moments later, Gray was forced off with a knock and the goalscorer was replaced by Charlie Austin.

The R’s found their groove as the second period wore on, keeping the ball well and finding pockets of space to the frustration of the home crowd.

On 72 minutes, a brilliant piece of play by Austin gave Dykes a great chance to double QPR’s lead and he surely would have done but for an excellent sliding block by Sean Morrison. 

Odubajo had made great strides down the left and he picked out Austin at the far post. The R’s frontman was alert to the space Dykes was in and casually chested it into his path for the shot, but the Scot’s effort was deflected wide by the Cardiff skipper.

With just under 15 minutes remaining, Chair was replaced by Dom Ball as Warburton looked to add some physicality to the middle of the park in the final period of the game.

Shortly after, the impressive Dozzell came off for Amos.

QPR had to withstand a late barrage of expected pressure from Cardiff, but withstand it they did through determination, desire and no little quality to seal three valuable away points.