icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News

Coventry City vs QPR at The Coventry Building Society Arena


  • 1 Coventry City

    • 50'‘ Jordan Shipley
  • 2 QPR

    • 6'‘ Andre Gray
    • 88'‘ Albert Adomah


  • Sky Bet Championship logo

Key Moments

  • Adomah makes it 2-1 to QPR!
  • Shipley levels it up
  • Gray gives R's an early lead
Hide Line-ups
  • 1 GK Moore
  • 20 D Kane (0‘)
  • 26 M Shipley (0‘)
  • 3 D Clarke-Salter
  • 5 D McFadzean
  • 15 D Hyam
  • 38 D Hamer
  • 14 M Sheaf
  • 17 FWD Gyökeres
  • 8 M Allen (0‘)
  • 10 M O'Hare
  • 25 GK Marshall
  • 37 M Adomah
  • 3 D Wallace
  • 6 D Barbet
  • 20 D Dunne
  • 4 D Dickie
  • 17 M Dozzell (0‘)
  • 15 M Field
  • 21 M Willock
  • 9 FWD Dykes (0‘)
  • 19 FWD Gray (0‘)


  • 9 FWD Waghorn (0‘)
  • 6 M Kelly
  • 27 D Bidwell (0‘)
  • 13 GK Wilson
  • 4 D Rose
  • 7 M Jones (0‘)
  • 28 M Eccles
  • 11 FWD Austin (0‘)
  • 22 D Odubajo
  • 12 Ball
  • 8 M Amos (0‘)
  • 5 D de Wijs
  • 14 M Thomas (0‘)
  • 32 GK Walsh
Andy Woolmer

QPR secured their fourth consecutive win on the road with a hard-fought 2-1 triumph at Coventry City.

Andre Gray’s early strike was cancelled out by Jordan Shipley after the break, but Albert Adomah was set to have the final say with a near post header which grabbed maximum points for Rangers.

The game got off to the perfect start for the R’s. Gray peeled off to the left and Willock found him, but the striker still had plenty to do. He cut in onto his right foot and as the keeper advanced he calmly found the far corner.

The lead lasted until the second half but the hosts drew level with a thunderous effort from Jordan Shipley which gave David Marshall no chance.

The never-say-die spirit of QPR was evident once again, however, and Adomah was the man to be the difference on another afternoon of away-day celebrations for QPR. 

The R’s winger got on the end of an excellent delivery from Chris Willock to power the ball beyond City keeper Simon Moore.

Mark Warburton made one enforced change from the side that beat West Brom last weekend, bringing in Andre Dozzell for Stefan Johansen, who missed out with a minor knock.

Marshall lined up between the posts while Lee Wallace, Yoann Barbet, Jimmy Dunne, Rob Dickie and Adomah made up the backline.

Sam Field was partnered in the centre of the park by Dozzell while Willock played in the hole behind Gray and Lyndon Dykes.

QPR headed into the game on the back of three league victories while their hosts were buoyed by last weekend’s impressive 4-1 win at Peterborough United, a result which emphatically ended a six-game winless run in the Championship.

Under Mark Robins’ stewardship the Sky Blues have improved year-on-year. After taking charge of a relegation-doomed side at the tail-end of 2016/17, Robins’ first full season at the helm was in League Two and he steered his side to play-off glory.

The following year, Coventry finished eighth in League One before securing their second promotion in three years in 2019/20 by winning the division.

Last season’s campaign in the Championship was Coventry’s first at this level in nine years and they secured a creditable 16th-place finish.

This year, their ambitions are once again greater as they look to mount a play-off push. 

Like many, Coventry’s campaign has been impacted by COVID-19 – they have only played two league games in the past six weeks – but this means Robins’ charges have games in hand on those around them.

Going into this afternoon’s game, they had played 24, one less than the R’s, and it was the hosts who started quickly with the dangerous Gustavo Hamer forcing an early save out of Marshall.

In a frantic start, Gray was in behind the Coventry defence in the third minute but his low effort was well stopped by home keeper Moore.

But in the sixth minute it was Gray who won the next battle between the pair to put Rangers ahead. Willock played a great ball down the left and the R’s striker cut inside onto his right foot before coolly slotting home.

The goal was scored in front of the 4,000 travelling R’s fans who enjoyed another special moment with the celebrating players.

It was certainly an open match and the game continued in that manner when Viktor Gyokeres stung the palms of Marshall with a shot from distance.

Marshall was being kept a busy man in the QPR goal and he pulled off a double-save to further frustrate Gyokeres in the 12th minute.

And the R’s stopper was at it again on 21 minutes, acrobatically denying a Hamer striker which was destined for the top corner.

Despite leading, QPR were struggling to get into the game and were pinned in their own half for much of the opening 30 minutes.

In a rare foray forward, Adomah almost got on the end of Willock’s cross to the far post from the left but he was unable to make a vital connection from close range.

As the half wore on, QPR started to enjoy periods of sustained pressure and they came close to doubling their lead on 43 minutes. Adomah broke down the right and played a typically-teasing ball into the box which Gray could only deflect into the path of Wallace, but the fullback was unable to keep his effort down.

After the interval, former R Todd Kane put in a delivery from the right which seemed destined to be prodded home before Dickie pulled off a stunning clearance to lift the ball over the crossbar.

From the resultant corner, however, City were level with a brilliant strike from Shipley as he smashed home from the edge of the box.

Amid the home celebrations, play was temporarily halted following an incident in the crowd which required medical attention.

Following a 13-minute stoppage, the game resumed and it was the hosts who were in the ascendancy as they looked to take the lead.

Warburton soon made his first change of the afternoon, bringing Luke Amos on for Dozzell.

But it was Coventry who continued to look the more dangerous and Marshall was forced into another excellent save on 72 minutes, this time diving low to his right to deny Hamer.

Warburton replaced Gray moments later, adding George Thomas to the attacking line, while Charlie Austin was introduced for Dykes.

And on 88 minutes, the R’s – despite being under the cosh for much of the game – regained the lead with a brilliant team goal.

An excellent passing move involving Field, Wallace and Willock on the left saw the latter stand up a great ball to the near post which Adomah steered past Moore with a powerful header.

Due to the earlier medical incident in the crowd, there were 16 minutes of additional time for Rangers to navigate through.

Adomah threw his body on the line to block one goal-bound effort as City threw everything forward in search of another leveller.

Rangers held firm for a win which sees them sit two points off the automatic promotion places with a game in hand.