icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News

QPR vs Coventry City at Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium

Lyndon Dykes celebrates after giving Rangers the lead

  • 2 QPR

    • 68'‘ Lyndon Dykes
    • 76'‘ Yoann Barbet
  • 0 Coventry City


  • Sky Bet Championship logo

Key Moments

  • Barbet makes it 2-0
  • R's sub Dykes breaks the deadlock!
Hide Line-ups
  • 1 GK Dieng
  • 22 D Odubajo
  • 16 D McCallum (0‘)
  • 6 D Barbet
  • 5 D de Wijs
  • 4 D Dickie
  • 7 M Johansen
  • 12 Ball
  • 11 FWD Austin (0‘)
  • 21 M Willock
  • 10 M Chair (0‘)
  • 1 GK Moore
  • 23 D Dabo
  • 18 D Maatsen
  • 3 D Clarke-Salter (0‘)
  • 5 D McFadzean
  • 15 D Hyam
  • 38 D Hamer
  • 14 M Sheaf
  • 10 M O'Hare
  • 9 FWD Waghorn (0‘)
  • 17 FWD Gyökeres (0‘)


  • 37 M Adomah
  • 13 GK Archer
  • 14 M Thomas
  • 2 D Kakay (0‘)
  • 9 FWD Dykes (0‘)
  • 17 M Dozzell (0‘)
  • 20 D Dunne
  • 24 FWD Godden (0‘)
  • 13 GK Wilson
  • 4 D Rose
  • 8 M Allen (0‘)
  • 19 FWD Walker (0‘)
  • 26 M Shipley
  • 29 D Da Costa
Dean Whitestone

QPR completed an unbeaten August by beating Coventry City 2-0 at Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

Second-half goals from substitute Lyndon Dykes (68 minutes) and Yoann Barbet (76) did the damage for Rangers, who rose into the Sky Bet Championship’s automatic promotion places as a result.

Visitors Coventry posed a real threat before half-time – but the R’s rode the storm to take a first home league win of the campaign.

R’s boss Mark Warburton was able to welcome back Seny Dieng, Jordy de Wijs, Barbet, Dom Ball, Stefan Johansen and Charlie Austin into his starting line-up, who all sat out of Tuesday’s EFL Cup win over Oxford United.

There was also a spot among the substitutes for Dykes, who return to the squad following his recent illness.

Following his midweek appearance against Oxford, former Coventry man Sam McCallum made his first league start for Rangers – who lined up in their usual 5-3-2 formation: Dieng; Moses Odubajo, Rob Dickie, de Wijs, Barbet, McCallum; Ball, Johansen; Chris Willock, Ilias Chair; Austin.

Rangers and Coventry headed into this fixture having made a strong start to the season and, given the fact that both teams like to play football, too, this had the makings of an entertaining Championship spectacle.

The game duly began in frantic fashion. After just two minutes, Viktor Gyokeres threatened for the visitors when he won the ball back in the QPR half, before seeing his shot go behind for a corner.

At the other end, a minute later, Dickie – already on four goals for the campaign – tried his luck from distance once again but couldn’t trouble Simon Moore in the Coventry goal.

The visitors were the stronger of the two teams before half-time and it wasn’t long before Dieng was tested once more, as Ian Maatsen latched onto a ball from Martyn Waghorn before seeing his effort repelled by the R’s goalkeeper.

As Coventry continued to up the ante, Waghorn and Gustavo Hamer both saw efforts blocked by the Rangers defence in the eighth minute, before a Callum O’Hare blast was saved by Dieng. A minute later, meanwhile, Waghorn saw another effort deflect behind for a corner.

This contest was being played at a breakneck pace and the R’s threatened on 11 minutes, as McCallum saw his shot blocked by Fankaty Dabo.

Chances dried up for a short period after that. Coventry next went close in the 26th minute, as Gyokeres’ centre was so nearly touched home by Waghorn. A minute later, Dieng kept out Hamer’s edge-of-the-box attempt.

But it was the R’s who went closest yet just past the half-hour mark. Chair’s free-kick looked to be heading for the top left-hand corner before Moore flung himself to his right to tip the ball over.

Up the other end, seven minutes from half-time, Kyle McFadzean headed marginally wide from Hamer’s corner. Then, on 43 minutes, Waghorn was again only inches away from poking home an O’Hare cross.

Rangers needed improvement after the break, but it was Coventry who again went close in the 46th minute – with Waghorn's drive forcing a fine fingertip save from Dieng.

Again, there was a period where opportunities lessened – but the 67th-minute introduction of Dykes for Chair turned this game on its head.

Indeed, the Scotland number nine netted just a minute after his arrival, taking control of Ball’s headed pass before rifling the ball home from 20 yards.

Lift-off in W12 – and it wasn’t long before the home crowd had a second goal to cheer.

Barbet started and finished the move on 76 minutes, first attempting an outrageous distance drive that was well saved by Moore before eventually making his way into the box to put the finishing touch to the loose ball.

By now, the home crowd were well and truly lifted and Dykes almost added a second goal for himself 11 minutes from time, denied by a smart Moore stop.

After Maatsen shot over for the hosts in the 81st minute, Kakay so nearly made it 3-0 once more in the 90th minute – his deflected effort crashing into the side-netting after the defender strode clear of the visiting backline.

The scoring may have been over, but this was another fine result for Rangers in the end – who showed real character to ride the Coventry storm in the first half and collect three points, ultimately.