icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News

QPR vs Uxbridge at Heston


  • 2 QPR

    • Charlie Kelman
    • Own goal
  • 0 Uxbridge


  • Pre-Season Friendly logo

Key Moments

Hide Line-ups


MICHAEL Beale’s reign as QPR head coach got off to a winning start as Rangers beat non-league Uxbridge 2-0 in a behind-closed-doors friendly at Heston on Saturday lunchtime.

Charlie Kelman’s strike just two minutes in set the Hoops on their way, and the scoring was wrapped up after only 11 minutes following an own goal from a visiting defender.

Rangers fielded separate elevens in either half, with recent captures Jake Clarke-Salter and Kenneth Paal playing 45 minutes apiece.

Ilias Chair also clocked up 35 second-half minutes after returning to pre-season training on Thursday following his summer international commitments.

The R’s deployed a 4-3-2-1 formation in both halves. From the start, goalkeeper Murphy Mahoney patrolled a back four of Arkell Jude-Boyd, Jimmy Dunne, Clarke-Salter and Niko Hamalainen.

In central midfield, skipper Stefan Johansen sat just in front of the back four, behind Steven Duke-McKenna and Andre Dozzell.

Albert Adomah and George Thomas operated just behind Kelman in attack.

Kelman’s early goal gave QPR the lead. Adomah picked out Hamalainen on the left, who subsequently sent over a low cross for Kelman to finish smartly.

Then, after Adomah warmed the hands of the visiting ‘keeper with a shot from range soon after, the R’s doubled their advantage in the 11th minute. Slick interplay ended with an Uxbridge defender inadvertently turning Kelman’s cross into his own net.

Rangers did have chances to further extend their lead before half-time.

Kelman and Thomas both shot narrowly over, then Clarke-Salter’s eventual effort from a corner – on the stroke of half-time – cannoned back off the crossbar before being hacked clear.

As mentioned, QPR fielded an entirely-different team for the second half.

Joe Walsh took up his place in goal, with Aaron Drewe, Rob Dickie, Joe Gubbins and Paal making up Rangers’ backline this time.

Conor Masterson sat just in front, behind Charlie Owens and Faysal Bettache.

Chair and Mide Shodipo were deployed off Bonne up front.

Bonne – on his return from a loan spell at Ipswich – had an effort chalked off for offside in the 52nd minute, following Shodipo’s centre.

Six minutes later, Paal’s fierce drive from the left flew past the far post.

Rangers struck the post in minutes 63 and 85 – Chair capitalising on good work from Bonne only to find the frame of the goal, before Owens’ free-kick also had the visiting ‘keeper scrambling.

There would be no further goalscoring action, despite Joseph Ajose – who, along with Rafferty Pedder, replaced Dickie and Chair respectively on 80 minutes – heading over a good chance from Pedder’s left-wing delivery.

QPR (first half): Mahoney, Jude-Boyd, Dunne, Clarke-Salter, Hamalainen, Johansen, Duke-McKenna, Dozzell, Adomah, Thomas, Kelman.

QPR (second half): Walsh, Drewe, Dickie (Ajose 80), Gubbins, Paal, Masterson, Owens, Bettache, Chair (Pedder 80), Shodipo, Bonne.