QPR Ladies vs Lewes Ladies at Honeycroft


  • 0 QPR Ladies

  • 2 Lewes Ladies

19th February 2017 2:00 PM

  • FA Womens Premier League logo

Key Moments

Hide Line-ups



QPR Ladies v Lewes Ladies

QPR LADIES’ hopes of FA Women’s Premier League survival suffered a blow after a 2-0 home defeat to Lewes on Sunday.

Danielle Lane opened the scoring for the East Sussex based side seven minutes into the second half with a headed effort. Then 14 minutes from time, substitute Kellie Larkin secured the three points for the visitors to cement a third successive league loss without scoring for Martino Chevannes’ side.

With only six games remaining, pressure was piled on Chevannes’ troops after only securing one league victory this season. The Ladies remain bottom of the FAWPL, one point below West Ham United, the only side to have been beaten by Rangers this campaign.

Lewes turned up to Honeycroft looking for three points that would cement their mid-table position and started the better with a possession-based style.

However, it was Rangers who troubled the ‘keeper first when Seun Odeniyi picked up the ball on the edge of the box to force Lauren Dolbear into an early save.

The first half was short of opportunities with R’s goalkeeper Sophie Cheadle mildly quiet despite Lewes shading possession. One notable chance fell for Rebecca Carter who skied her close-range effort after a corner wasn’t cleared.

Lewes continued to have the swing of momentum after the break and, when Sian Heather picked out Lane at the front post, she headed beyond Cheadle to give the visitors a goal to protect.

Rangers were allowed back into the game and looked for an almost instant response when Odeniyi broke down the left before seeing her shot saved. The danger wasn’t over as the ball fell to Elly Maggs whose effort was saved from point-blank range before Sara Lopez’s header was blocked from a yard out.

Rangers continued to push for a way back into the game but the lack of a recognised striker proved to be an issue, with Sarah Staples introduced back from long-term injury to try and give the side a target up top.

Against the run of play, Lewes found a second goal. After a foul on the edge of the box, substitute Larkin stepped up and expertly found the far top corner to seal the three points for Lewes with just under quarter of an hour to play.

The Ladies didn’t give up, however, and when Maggs chased an aerial ball, she was the subject of a clattering from Lewes goalkeeper Dolbear in the box. Despite the heavy protests from QPR players and management for penalty, they didn’t interest the referee.

Rangers remain bottom of the FAWPL as a result, one point behind both West Ham United and Swindon Town albeit with a game in hand on both sides.

QPR: Cheadle, Lopes, Engels, Sseninde, Blodgett, Dempster, Maggs, Denny, Roberts (Butts 53), Lopez (Staples 63), Odeniyi (O’Callaghan 84).

Sub (Not used): Netschova.