Commentary By

  • 1 QPR U23s

    • Eberechi Eze
  • 4 Sheffield United U23s

    • Caolan Lavery
    • Ben Whiteman
    • David Brooks
    • Jordan Hallam

19 September 2016

  • Professional Development League Two South logo

Key Moments

Hide Line-ups



Under-23s given the sword by Blades

QPR UNDER-23S were beaten by Sheffield United on Monday.

Two goals in as many minutes from the visitors on the quarter-hour mark – the first from the penalty spot – set the tone at Harlington, where Rangers struggled to get going for the most part.

The lead was extended to four with another quick-fire double, before Ebere Eze provided a late consolation for Paul Hall’s side.

United fashioned the first chance of the afternoon inside four minutes. It fell Caolan Lavery’s way, but he was kept out thanks to an excellent low diving stop by Joe Lumley.

Rangers responded with an effort of their own soon after. AJ Folkes’ inch-perfect ball gave Dan Darbyshire a shooting chance, but his curler was pushed away by Lumley’s opposite number Aaron Ramsdale.

The game soon swung in the visitors’ favour, however, after a routine long ball caught out the R’s backline. It resulted in trialist Harry Frost clipping Lavery’s heels in the box and, after the defender was shown yellow for the offence, Lavery dusted himself down to tuck away the penalty himself.

No sooner had Rangers fallen behind, they conceded a second goal two minutes later. Ben Whiteman climbed highest from a corner at the far post to nestle a header inside the opposite corner.

They almost had a third but for Lumley’s intervention, who rushed out of his goal to prevent Lavery from finding the net again.

The chances continued to fall United’s way as the half wore on. Reece Brown wasted a glorious one when he blazed over following a well-worked corner, while Lumley rescued Rangers again with a point-blank save just before the break.

The start to the second half was a scrappy affair. Eze saw a shot saved and Folkes went close with a long-range volley, but clear-cut chances were few and far between.

That was until 20 minutes from time. Seconds after Lumley stood tall to keep out Harrison Chapman, the R’s goalkeeper was beaten by David Brooks who smashed home United’s third goal.

And it was four soon after. Rangers were caught in possession at the back, allowing substitute Jordan Hallam to add his name to the scoresheet.

Rangers did at least muster a goal of their own a minute later. Ody Alfa crossed for Eze to apply the finish and provide some sort of consolation.

QPR: Lumley, Barzey, Williams, Manning (Bowler 52), Arthur, Frost (Fox 74), Prohouly (Alfa 65), Folkes, Adams, Eze, Darbyshire.

Sub (not used): Dieng.

Booked: Barzey, Frost.

Goal: Eze 81.