icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News


QPR’S Under-21s returned to winning ways with a 4-0 victory over west London neighbours Brentford at Loftus Road.

After defeat to Bristol City last time out, Rangers – who fielded an attacking line-up and handed starts to first-teamers Javier Chevanton, Andy Johnson and Matt Phillips – were good value for the win, secured thanks to two goals each from Mike Petrasso and Chevanton.

Marc Bircham’s side began brightly with both Johnson and Petrasso seeing early efforts blocked by the Bees defence in the first five minutes.

Chevanton then fizzed a low shot past the post, before the Uruguayan was heavily involved when QPR took the lead in the 10th minute.

It was Petrasso who got the opening goal of the contest, playing a lovely one-two with Chevanton before finishing well from 12 yards.

Charlie Adams almost found an unlikely reply for the visitors soon after, somehow firing wide when freed 12 yards from goal.

But the home side were soon back on the attack and Johnson forced Bees goalkeeper Jack Bonham into a smart save.

Johnson was also unlucky not to have earned the R’s a penalty when he looked to have been unfairly hauled down in the box.

Rangers so nearly added a second goal in the 25th minute. Excellent work from Phillips saw him evade three challenges before squaring to Tom Hitchcock, who – albeit on the stretch – was unable to covert with the goal gaping.

At the other end, Aaron Pierre dragged an effort just a whisker past the post after the hosts failed to clear a free-kick.

QPR ‘keeper Aaron Lennox was also called into action around 10 minutes from half-time to tip Martin Fillo’s deflected shot over the crossbar.

Brentford enjoyed more possession as the half wore on and Fillo should have levelled for the visitors shortly before the break, after firing a cross over from just six yards.

The Bees were made to pay for that miss three minutes before half-time, as Rangers added a second goal – again through Petrasso.

Good work from Chevanton saw him free Johnson in the penalty area and when the former Fulham striker crossed for Petrasso, the Canadian tapped home on the goal-line.

QPR scored a third goal in the 47th minute. Johnson and Chevanton linked superbly well, with the latter controlling an inch-perfect pass over the top of the visiting defence before shooting past Bonham.

Brentford went close to netting a reply just a few minutes later. Raphael Calvet fired into the side-netting from a corner.

Meanwhile, Montelle Moore saw a shot deflected for away for a corner in the 63rd minute, while Pierre headed wide from the resultant set-piece.

Johnson almost got in on the act for Rangers in the 68th minute. Josh Laurent and Chevanton combined before the latter fed the forward, whose effort was gathered at the second attempt by Bonham.

Chevanton added gloss to the scoreline for the home side with his second goal in the 70th minute.

A fine passage of passing eventually ended with Phillips crossing for Chevanton from the right, who was gifted a simple finish at the back post.

QPR: Lennox, Furlong, Kpekawa, Laurent, Sendles-White, Magri, Phillips, Johnson (Carreiro 72), Chevanton (Skapetis 76), Hitchcock, Petrasso (Fitzpatrick 83).

Subs not used: Lumley, Brown.

Goals: Petrasso (10 & 42), Chevanton (47 & 70)

Bookings: Laurent (90)

Brentford: Bonham, Calvet, Pierre, Reeves, Nugent, Mawson, Fillo, Miller-Rodney, Moore, Adams, Clarke.

Subs not used: Maloney, Pilbeam, Awotwi, Mintner.

Referee: Stuart Jack

Assistants: Darren Fenner & Wally James