icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News


QPR head to Ireland on Thursday for the second leg of their European Tour and they signed off in England this evening with a 0-0 draw at League Two Southend United.

Manager Harry Redknapp’s side will play two games during their six-day stay in the Emerald Isle and it was two Irishman that ensured this pre-season encounter at Roots Hall ended all square

Twice in the first half QPR goalkeeper Brian Murphy thwarted Southend’s Republic born striker Barry Corr, whilst the R’s were forced to play without a recognised striker throughout as a makeshift side failed to test the hosts’ custodian.

Rangers lined-up in a 3-5-2 with Matt Phillips and Michael Petrasso starting in attack and trialist midfielder Jack Collison partnering Ale Faurlin and Michael Doughty. There was also a first start of pre-season for South Korean full-back Yun Suk-Young following his appearance at the World Cup.

Southend created the first chance of the match when Myles Weston called Murphy into action inside the opening 60 seconds before Suk-Young forced a save from Daniel Bentley at the other end for the R’s.

Stopper Murphy was then able to claw away Barry Corr’s header from Craig Fagan’s cross from the right on 14 minutes as Rangers kept the scores level. The move was repeated shortly after, this time from the left, as Weston’s cross found Corr unmarked in the box but the Irishman could only guide his header into his fellow countryman’s arms.

The match failed to find any real flow until seven minutes before half-time when Conor Clifford saw his 25-yard drive skim the top of Murphy’s crossbar moments after Phillips had tested Bentley from distance himself for the R’s.

QPR made two changes at the break with keeper Murphy replaced by youngster Joe Lumley and Suk-Young making way for Frankie Sutherland. 

However, it was the Shrimpers who enjoyed the better of the early second half chances as Lumley turned Clifford’s long ranger around the post before saving the resulting corner kick. 

That early opportunity proved to be the only real action of the second 45 as both sides used a plethora of substitutes to hand their squads match practice ahead of the start of the new season.

Southend: Bentley (T. Smith 77), Fagan (Fagan 46), Coker (Jordan Williams 78), Ibenfeldt, Thompson, Richards-Everton (Prosser 46), Guyonnet (Deegan 46), Corr (Brown 87), Weston (Chedozie 68), Atkinson, Clifford (Jenkins 60).

Subs not used: Jason Williams, Bridge, Farrell, Pinnock, Payne.

QPR: Murphy (Lumley 46), Harriman, Onuoha, Hill, Donaldson (Kpekawa 79), Suk-Young (Sutherland 46), Collison, Faurlin, Petrasso (Comley 64), Phillips (Sendles-White 62), Doughty.

Attendance: 3,193 (435 from QPR)