icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News


MATT Phillips scored a goal in each half as a strong QPR XI beat Wolves 2-0 at the Harlington training ground on Friday afternoon.

The former Blackpool man opened the scoring in the eighth minute with a little help from a deflection, before doubling the lead in the 89th minute with a cool finish from just inside the box.

Meanwhile, the watching Harry Redknapp will have been pleased to see several of his players complete 90 minutes, including Sandro and Adel Taarabt, while Bobby Zamora played 70 minutes of action.

With no Premier League fixture this weekend owing to internationals, a friendly was arranged in order to provide valuable match time for a number of the QPR squad.

Alex McCarthy lined up between the sticks, with a back four (from left to right) of Yun Suk-Young, Clint Hill, Richard Dunne and Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Sandro and Michael Doughty played in the centre of midfield with Junior Hoilett on the left and Phillips on the right.

Taarabt played just off Zamora in attack.

It took less than three minutes for Taarabt to fire the first shot of the afternoon, with his 20-yard effort fizzing just wide of the right-hand post.

Five minutes later, the R’s took the lead. Doughty released Hoilett with a neat pass down the left, and the Rangers wide man picked out the on-rushing Phillips with a low centre. 

As he arrived in the box, Phillips saw his goalbound effort take a slight deflection off a Wolves defender before ending up in the back of the net.

Mid-way through the half, Hoilett almost increased the hosts’ lead with a fine effort. Taarabt played the ball into his path and the former Blackburn man cut inside before curling an effort inches wide as he looked to pick out the far right corner.

In truth, there were few clear-cut chances in this game which was played in horrendous conditions with heavy rain affecting the play for both sides.

After the break, Suk-Young broke down the left and linked up well with Hoilett, with the latter picking out the former inside the Wolves box, but the South Korean international was unable to get his shot away.

In the closing stages, Bruno Andrade – who had replaced the impressive Zamora – nearly set up Phillips for number two. His corner from the right was headed goalwards by Phillips, but his effort clipped the top of the cross bar.

He wasn’t to be denied his second of the afternoon, however, and with just a minute of the game remaining, Andrade got beyond the Wolves full-back before sliding the ball into the path of Phillips as he arrived in the box. Phillips coolly took a touch to control before picking out the bottom corner.

QPR: Alex McCarthy, Yun Suk-Young, Clint Hill, Richard Dunne, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Junior Hoilett, Sandro, Michael Doughty (Trialist, 75), Matt Phillips, Adel Taarabt, Bobby Zamora (Bruno Andrade, 70).