icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News


QPR suffered an opening day to forget – going down to a 5-0 defeat against Swansea City at Loftus Road.

The Swans stunned Mark Hughes’s side who, despite a positive first-half showing, were made to pay for several missed chances in typical Premier League fashion.

Debutant Michu gave City the lead inside the opening ten minutes.

The Spaniard then added another eight minutes after half-time, before further strikes from Nathan Dyer (2) and Scott Sinclair gave Michael Laudrup a first fixture in charge of the South Wales club to remember.

R’s manager Hughes handed league debuts to no less than four summer signings, with Rob Green, Fabio da Silva, Ji-Sung Park and Junior Hoilett all starting against the Swans.

Much of the talk in the lead up to the fixture centred around the naming of a new QPR captain and Hughes’s decision was announced when the teams were at 2pm, with former Manchester United ace Park given the armband.

Green started in goal for the R’s, who lined up in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Nedum Onuoha, Anton Ferdinand, Clint Hill and Fabio made up Rangers’ back four.

Samba Diakite and Park were deployed in defensive midfield, behind Jamie Mackie, Adel Taarabt and Hoilett.

Djibril Cisse led the R’s line up front.

Swansea, meanwhile, gave league debuts to three – Chico Flores, Michu and Jonathan de Guzman.

Former Hoops winger Wayne Routledge also started for the visitors, while the Swans’ top scorer last term, Danny Graham, spearheaded the City attack.

Having paid its respects to the both the late Alan McDonald and Pat Woods – two former R’s players – with a spine-tingling minute’s applause, Loftus Road was bouncing come kick-off.

Rangers had the better of the early possession but found themselves behind after just eight minutes.

Routledge went on a driving run before finding Dyer on the edge of the box, whose touch back into Michu saw the Spaniard fire home a low effort – despite a touch from Green. 

Undeterred, the R’s almost replied soon after. Taarabt’s low blast deflected up into the path of Mackie, whose snap-shot forced an outstanding save from Michel Vorm.

QPR went close again on 14 minutes. Park initially won possession before Taarabt fed Hoilett down the left, who cut in before curling an effort inches wide of the far post.

Two minutes later, Taarabt and Diakite saw shots blocked, before Fabio sent an effort from just outside the box over the crossbar.

The R’s were now firmly knocking on the Swansea door. 

On 23 minutes, a Rangers corner was eventually cleared to Fabio just inside the Swans’ half before his high ball into the box was headed wide by Hoilett.

Diakite forced a low stop from Vorm after Taarabt’s corner was cleared only as far as the Mali man 25 yards from goal.

Taarabt then thundered a low effort straight at the City keeper.

Despite their early setback, Rangers had been excellent. Park won possession for the home side on the half-hour mark before Taarabt’s beautifully-struck shot forced the now-busy Vorm into a fine one-handed save.

At the other end, only a smart stop from Green five minutes before the half-time break prevented the Swans from extending their lead, with the England keeper tipping de Guzman’s 30-yard free-kick wide.

From the resultant set-piece, Swansea could – and probably should – have increased their lead. de Guzman was again involved, teeing up Ashley Williams from the corner before the Welsh stopper saw his header smash against the face of the bar.  

And the R’s had the woodwork to thank once more on the stroke of half-time.

Green’s punch from another teasing de Guzman corner found Michu on six yards, who blasted a shot against the bar before Routledge sent the loose ball over the target.

Just a minute after the interval, Rangers had claims for a penalty turned down when Hoilett went down under challenge in the box. Onuoha also struck an effort wide from 20 yards in the same move.

QPR’s chances were dealt a hammer blow when the Swans added a second in the 53rd minute.

Like the first goal, former Ranger Routledge was heavily involved, driving at the R’s rear-guard before feeding Michu just inside the box, who bent a delicious effort into the top left-hand corner.

Ten minutes later, the visitors stretched their lead.

Michu intercepted Fabio’s attempted ball forward before Routledge was on hand with another assist to put Dyer in the clear, who strode towards goal before coolly slotting an effort past Green.

Swansea went close to adding another in the 65th minute, with Green called into action to keep out Graham from 12 yards.

Mackie would soon fire an attempt into the side-netting at the opposite end, while Hoilett’s left-footed effort from 20 yards only just cleared the bar.

But it wasn’t to be Rangers’ day – typified when City added a fourth in the 71st minute.

Substitute Kemy Agustien’s ball over the top of the R’s defence put Dyer in the clear, who – much like his first strike – kept his cool to slide home once more.

Sinclair came from the bench to add a Swansea fifth ten minutes later, turning on Michu’s ball before drilling his shot into the bottom right-hand corner.

Queens Park Rangers: Green, Diakite (Derry 86), Ferdinand, Hill (Wright-Phillips 64), Park, Cisse (Johnson 77), Taarabt, Mackie, Onuoha, Fabio, Hoilett.

Subs: Murphy, Nelsen, Dyer, Zamora.

Bookings: Diakite (55), Fabio (58)

Swansea City: Vorm, Taylor, Chico, Williams, Britton, Michu (Gower 84), Graham, Dyer (Sinclair 77), Routledge, de Guzman (Agustien 70), Rangel.

Subs: Tremmel, Tate, Moore, Richards.

Goals: Michu (8 & 53), Dyer (63 &71), Sinclair (81)

Bookings: de Guzman (41), Rangel (62)

Referee: Mr L Probert

Attendance: 18,072