icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop goal-black icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow instagram icon-2018 twitter icon-2018 youtube icon-2018

Breaking News


FIRST-HALF goals from Matt Jarvis and Ricardo Vaz Te were enough for West Ham United to register all three points at Loftus Road.

Jarvis’ close-range header put the Hammers in front after just three minutes, before Vaz Te’s neat finish from a tight angle put the visitors further ahead.

Substitute Adel Taarabt’s outrageous solo effort gave Rangers hope but, after Samba Diakite was dismissed just 19 minutes after coming on late in the second half, the home side were unable to add an all-important second goal.

Mark Hughes made three changes to his QPR side following last week’s League Cup exit at the hands of Reading.

Ryan Nelsen, Shaun Wright-Phillips and top scorer Bobby Zamora all came in for Rangers, who signalled their intent to attack from the off by pairing the latter with Djibril Cisse up front.

The R’s were looking for a first Premier League win of the campaign going into this one but were dealt an early blow when their London neighbours took an early lead.

Excellent build-up play from the visitors ended with Vaz Te finding Kevin Nolan in the box, whose miscue fortuitously allowed Jarvis to head home at close range.

The Hammers even went close to doubling their lead seven minutes later, after Mo Diame broke on the counter attack before seeing his shot from distance deflected just past the upright.

QPR’s first real chance of the evening arrived on 13 minutes. Esteban Granero and Ale Faurlin exchanged passes and when the ball was cleverly worked to Wright-Phillips out wide on the right, he crossed for the former to fire over.

The home side went even closer seven minutes later when a Granero free-kick crashed off the body of West Ham’s James Collins before Joey O’Brien cleared off the goal-line. 

Visiting defender Winston Reid was forced off when he injured himself in the same move but it didn’t appear to trouble Sam Allardyce’s side, who stretched their lead ten minutes before the break.

In fact, it was Reid’s replacement who played architect in the Hammers' second goal of the contest.

Rangers failed to clear their lines from a corner and when James Tomkins sent over a hanging cross from the right, Vaz Te produced a fine finish from an acute angle at the back post.

The hosts almost reduced the deficit four minutes later. Another teasing Granero free-kick eventually fell to Cisse just inside the box, whose scissor-kick on the half-volley forced a stunning stop from Jussi Jaaskelainen.

The Finn’s opposite number was called into action just after the half-time break, with Julio Cesar blocking excellently from Diame's blast.

Two goals behind, Rangers needed a lifeline and threw on Taarabt and Diakite on 56 minutes in search of it.

The switch paid instant dividends a minute later.

It was a moment of individual genius from Taarabt, who did well to control a ball forward before shifting his way past Diame.

The finish was also impressive, with the Moroccan’s spectacular 25-yard effort crashing into the top right-hand corner.

The goal brought the Loftus Road faithful to life and they were soon on their feet again when Jaaskelainen thwarted Granero.

West Ham should have regained their two-goal lead in the 68th minute.

Nolan capitalised on a Diakite slip before sliding Carlton Cole through on goal, who could only drag an effort wide from 12 yards.

This was fast becoming an end-to-end affair and at the other end Taarabt’s exceptional vision saw the gifted attacker free Cisse, whose shot was blocked away by Jaaskelainen. 

The home crowd were now driving their team forward - but Rangers’ task was made all-the harder when Diakite was dismissed for a second bookable offence in the 75th minute, following a late challenge on Vaz Te.

QPR had to hold firm for a short spell. Clint Hill did well to head a dangerous Jarvis cross over on the line, while Vaz Te’s stinging half-volley forced an outstanding save from Cesar.

Rangers recovered but were ultimately unsuccessful in their attempts to land a late leveller.

Jaaskelainen parried from Cisse and, after six minutes of added time went up on the board, the Hammers custodian was equal to a Faurlin effort from range.

QPR: Cesar, Hill, Park (Diakite 56), Cisse, Wright-Phillips (Taarabt 56), Granero, Onuoha (Hoilett 84), Nelsen, Zamora, Faurlin, Mbia.

Subs: Green, Mackie, Ephraim, Ehmer.

Goals: Taarabt (57)

Booked: Taarabt (58), Diakite (58 & 75)

Red Cards: Diakite (75)

West Ham United: Jaaskelainen, Reid (Tomkins 23), Nolan, Jarvis, Cole (Carroll 72), Vaz Te, Noble, O’Brien (McCartney 35), Collins, Demel, Diame.

Subs: Maiga, Henderson, Benayoun, O’Neil.

Goals: Jarvis (3), Vaz Te (35)

Booked: Diame (39), Noble (45), McCartney (63), Jaaskelainen (67), Cole (69), Nolan (69), Collins (78), Tomkins (90)

Referee: Mr M Clattenburg

Attendance: 17,363 (1681 away)