THE FA have today [Thursday 26th March 2020] announced that the 2019/20 season for women’s football clubs from steps three to six will end with immediate effect.
The decision means that all league and cup competitions that these clubs were involved in, which includes QPR FC Women, will be declared null and void.
QPR FC Women sat second in the London & South East Regional Football League before the season was halted in mid-March due to the threat of Coronavirus (COVID-19). The R’s also had two games in hand on their promotion rivals.
Manager Steve Quashie said: “I am bitterly disappointed, especially with the hard work everyone has put in this season, including players, staff, youth players, everyone.
“We were in a good position to get promoted to tier four but we also look at our development team, who were in poll position to go up to tier six.”
The R’s looked on course for promotion and had already reached one of two potential cup finals and manager Quashie knows that this season will forever be special for his Rangers side.
He said: “We were looking forward to an exciting League Cup final against Dartford, the combined counties cup semi-final and a highly intense run-in to the season, which would’ve seen us competing for the top spot.
“We have to remember the reason behind all this. It is an epidemic that we need to take time to reflect and digest. We can see that this is about more than just the game we love and during this tough period we must ensure that we all keep safe.”
The FA’s statement in full
The FA has been working collaboratively with the National League System [NLS], the Women’s Football Pyramid and the wider grassroots game since the outbreak of COVID-19 on how to conclude the 2019/20 season in the most appropriate way possible.
These are challenging circumstances for English football and all decisions taken are in the best interests of the game and in consultation across key stakeholders. Our primary concern will always be for the safety and welfare of clubs, players, staff, officials, volunteers and supporters during this unprecedented time.
Today’s steps take into account the financial impact during this uncertain period, whilst considering the fairest method on how the sporting outcomes for the season will be decided, with the integrity of the Leagues in mind.
The NLS and the Women’s Football Pyramid were able to build a consensus amongst their leagues and, where possible, aimed to create a consistent approach across all leagues, whilst taking into account the unique characteristics of each individual league.
In the women’s game, The FA, FA Women’s Board members and the Women’s Football Conference have consulted and reached a consensus regarding the Women’s Football Pyramid.
The FA and the Leagues within Tiers 3 to 7 (of the women’s game) have reached a consensus to bring the season to an immediate end and all results will be expunged. This will mean no promotion or relegation of clubs between Tiers 3 to 7. Agreement has also been reached to end the Regional Talent Clubs season, which was due to conclude in April 2020.
We remain in consultation with the Barclays FA Women’s Super League and FA Women’s Championship Board and clubs regarding the most appropriate way to complete the current season; including the Barclays FA Women’s Super League Academy.”
QPR FC Women will be making no further comment on this decision at this time.